Hydro Assist Steering on TD5 Defender

Hi,

I just wonder if anybody has a hydro assist steering on a Defender TD5?

Do I have to drill holes inte the steering box? How are the hoses connected and is the standard pump good (fast) enough?

I like to use it mainly for Trophy, but what about fast driving?

Is it worth to do it or better investing into a good steering damper?

Hi,

Is it worth to do it or better investing into a good steering damper?

Hydro steering or a better steering damper are two completely different things. A steering damper makes the steering movement from the steering wheel smoother and hydro steer gives more turning force to the wheels, as said used for when you have larger tyres. I don't think hydro steering is road worthy though.

Steve

I think there was a thread explaining how to connect a LR steering box for hydro assist, I don't think you need to drill anything.

Done properly, with a good capacity pump & matched ram, it should be fine. A lot of people do it on the cheap or just throw it together because they don't drive on the highway with it.

For strong & fast responding assistance you need a lot more flow than a Rover pump can provide.