Brake calipers and axles...

I have a "older" style narrow radius arm front axel, and I want to get a new set of calipers. there are heaps on fleebay.

Now a question; are all front calipers interchangable with the verious models of disc front axels? i.e. can i put some TD5 vented calipers on a 1984yr front disc axel?

I know you have to match vented type to vented discs, but is there a difference in the foundation points?

And is there a difference between 90 calipers and 110 calipers??

Cheers

Mav

you also get two different types of threads on the bolts, 12mm and something imperial but i cannot quite remember what it is... yours assuming it is original should be the imperial size

The bolt sizes are 12mm or 7/16 UNF. The bolt spacings are the same though.

If you want to fit calipers with 12mm bolts on a 7/16 UNF hub then you'll need to have some special bolts made.

There are a variety of different piston sizes depending on year and if it's 90 or 110.

Ok, so if I wanted to fit vented discs to my 1984 90 with an original unvented disc axle, which calipers would I need assuming, as I am, that the hubs would be imperial ? Perhaps they'd be metric by 1984 ? :unsure:

Lets use Paddocks front brake page as a common reference point for simplicitys sake :rolleyes:

Mo

The bolt sizes are 12mm or 7/16 UNF. The bolt spacings are the same though.

If you want to fit calipers with 12mm bolts on a 7/16 UNF hub then you'll need to have some special bolts made.

There are a variety of different piston sizes depending on year and if it's 90 or 110.

Could you clarify something. why if the bolt pattern is the same cound I not just fit a new caliper (metric later one) using the original UNF bolts?

cheers

Mo,

The case and hubs are Range Rover 3.9, 1990 with abs. The swivels are Disco (taper bearings top and bottom). The stub axles, wheel hubs and cv's are from a 1984 90.

My hubs have the 7/16 UNF caliper bolts so I have made stepped bolts to suit the 12mm caliper holes.

You could use the RR calipers of course but they have 2 inlet pipes. The pistons and pads are also smaller than the 110/130 calipers.

Paul.