boost pressure

stripy

RS components do all the bits, K type thermocouple and fittings, digital display, cables and connectors. Did mine about 5 years ago, think it cost me about £70. The panel meter will need to be mounted in a small housing, RS do a bezel for it. I added leds for night illumination under the bezel. Will read to over 800 degrees c, almost instaneous change of readings.

Idle is about 150c

Moderate throttle is 200-400c

Foot to the floor, 80mph up motorway hills is 620-650c

300Tdi 90 Defender, Allard intercooler, 1.1 boost, slight tweak of pump but only a mild one, 1.2 ratio transfer, 235/85 tyres.

i have ordered a EGT guage and sender and light from acro engines nr redcar, the range is 400/900c it was £53.45 +vat nice helpfull chap barry smith 01642-470322

hopefully this will tell me if i have over done it :blink:

just noticed this thread.

my 200 disco is running a full width intercooler from straightforward suppies, much cheaper than the big names & seemed perfectly good quality when i got it. main difference is it didnt come with any instructions to tweak the pump. however i already had saved that thread in the tech archive here so i was ok with that.

as i understand it, discos & defenders run the same boost but the disco has the pump set slightly higher as stock.

im running 18psi of boost & a well tweaked pump. with no issues since about october. infact it now doesnt climb the temp guage when climbing hills anywhere near as much as it did stock. so that to me means the total heat build up is probably lower but i dont have an EGT to test that. i seem to get better fuel econamy too, since i once i get to 5th i hardly ever have to change down anymore.

anyone know the hill going north from the forth bridge? well loaded for 2 weeks away & a lot of tools etc in the back i was showing 75 up there on 2/3rds throttle & my speedo is 9% slow due to the tyres i run. i know of a 3.5 V8 90 auto that cant hit 70 up there even when its running well.

the only further tweaking i intend to do is to find a way to allow the diaphram to lift more, its a bit too smokey for me off boost but im out of adjustment.

oh it also runs 60-65% chipfat and has done for a year or so with no problems so far.

wind the smoke screw out a 1/2 - 1 turn

it is the screw under the camp on the top of the injection pump

torx type with 13mm locknut.

this will affect pull away from standstill though.

i would tony but the diaphram is resting on the inside of the housing already. what i need to do is get a spacer under the top cover or a small amount machined off the inside of the housing. im considering taking the vertical stiffing ring off the metal plate on top of the diaphram, that'd probably do it im just not sure it wont flex & cause problems.