Discovery S2 Headlight Upgrade

PeterW

I know there is a love em/hate em split about the facelift (4 lamp) headlights, but has anyone taken a S2 disco and upgraded to the facelift lights..??

Famous Four want £695 to do the job, but the bits come in at a little over £300, so whats involved..??

Cheers

Pete

I know there is a love em/hate em split about the facelift (4 lamp) headlights, but has anyone taken a S2 disco and upgraded to the facelift lights..??

Famous Four want £695 to do the job, but the bits come in at a little over £300, so whats involved..??

Cheers

Pete

Chelsea Tractor looked into this for his sandbag's Discovery. He got as far as buying the headlamps but then discovered that the trim below the lamp was different and that the metal brackets welded to the slam panel are different. To complete the look with the MY2003 fog lamps needs a new bumper too. ISTR that the front grill is different as well.

Chris

Disco parts chap did it a few years ago.

Mark Casey

Head lights + fogs and bumper

it is the same as on a freelander there is a small bit of steel that needs to be cut out.

the rear is just the two back lights.

The wires are all the same I am going to borrow the mother in laws when I do it to copy the wires over.

Chelsea Tractor looked into this for his sandbag's Discovery. He got as far as buying the headlamps but then discovered that the trim below the lamp was different and that the metal brackets welded to the slam panel are different. To complete the look with the MY2003 fog lamps needs a new bumper too. ISTR that the front grill is different as well.

Chris

Thanks Chris

I know there is a piece of trim either side to change, but wasn't sure whether the CDs on eBlag describing the process are worth it..!

Cheers

Peter

I believe there is a difference in the wiring in that when you flip from dip to main beam on a normal headlight bulb, one filament goes off and one comes on.

I think on the 03MY headlights, when you hit main beam the dipped beam stays on as well, in which case you'd need to twiddle with the wiring to account for that (or put up with less light output).

I may be wrong though, but I think I saw that somewhere. Don't have an 03MY to look at at the moment, mine has got proper Discovery headlights in it not horrid four eyed ones :P

The wires are all the same I am going to borrow the mother in laws when I do it to copy the wires over.

And what are you going to do when you discover that it isn't wired with domestic twin and earth, just like your 90 was ?

I heard he paid someone to take the ceiling roses, that were used as junction boxes out :)

I never said I did the wiring on the freelander,

I had a mate come over to do it :P

It was street lighting cable actually you can bend it round stuff which I though was grate, I didn't know that is not good on a car.

And yes stunning were given my 90 about 8yrs ago and told to make it reliable

and to stop laughing :unsure:

Fair play I don't touch wiring and it is safer all round for me to stay away from electrics

Ali and Vick are still horrified that I am in charge of electrical contractors and all site temporary electrics and have been for some years now, If only they knew