Retro-fit side lockerson a 110 van?

Hi all,

I was wondering the other day whilst in trap one at work, whether anyone has retro-fitted side lockers to a 110 van? A search has revealed nothing in this forum, but someone's done it, surely?

I've found references to the military 'jerry-can' lockers, and even the LR P/Ns, but has anyone done a DIY, perhaps slightly more secure, version? I'd love to be able to keep my towing gear, tools, etc out of sight...

Am a novice-cum-reasonably competent fabricator but cutting holes in the bodywork will obviously make the backside twitch... :o

I fitted to my 110 that I had about 10 years ago the military side lockers on both sides and they worked very well, I was a novice at the time with Land rovers, but I wanted the lockers on my 110 hardtop, so I made a few measurements with a friends ex mil 110 and went from there, they're very simple to fit to the truck and were a godsend at times even carrying a small sized butane gas cylinder at one time or another

HTH

John

All,

Thanks for the replies.

there is a guy on Ebay that sells them, they look good. Something to take into account when you make/buy them, some are to big to use with rocksliders

Couldn't find anything on fleabay, despite several differently worded searches, do you have a name/seller id?

so I made a few measurements with a friends ex mil 110 and went from there

Thanks JBS, sounds like I need to get friendly with a an ex-mil/ex-utility owner and put my measuring tape where my mouth is, so to speak! I'm guessing you no longer have any sketches, dimensions, etc? Did you use ally treadplate for the doors?

I got mine from Foley SV, their expedition lockers. Just be sitting down when you phone them up for a price for a pair.

Hmmm, sounds a bit too spendy for me - but will definitely have a perusal of their website...

Best get on with it I s'pose...

I used the standard military 110 side lockers complete and I got 1 of them from safari engineering in Hampshire and the other one from Sodbury's Sort-out, At that time they both cost me £20 each which was a right bargain, luckily one of the people I used to know when I was living in Hampshire had an ex military 110 and I went from there, they took me about an hour each side and they came complete with the brackets to mount them to the chassis and the doors too, It seemed such a waste not to use all that space that was available and It was great to have them on there as i could carry like I said thing's like the butane bottle in them out of the way

And sorry no I don't have any sketches as such it's all very simple to do, Just take your time and take photo's/Notes of the vehicle you need to take the measurements off and make sure you have got everything you need to do the job, some sort of cutting device-jigsaw etc a drill with bit's and I used quite a few rivets when I was putting them in as that's what they're secured into the bodywork with they look good and they're really handy too

HTH

John

This is the item number for the lockers on ebay, 320513284901 They are not listed at the moment but if you put the number in the search box it will bring up the old listing and you can contact the guy through that,

Regards Antony

I made my own out of some left over treadplate, internal access so better security, I don't think they are quite as big as the military ones but I can still fit a load of valuable treasures junk in there!

I will put some pics up later if you like

Mike

I made my own out of some left over treadplate, internal access so better security, I don't think they are quite as big as the military ones but I can still fit a load of valuable treasures junk in there!

I will put some pics up later if you like

Mike

That would be awesome Mike, as I still think BIY (Build/Bodge It Yourself) is the way forward, as this chap

This is the item number for the lockers on ebay, 320513284901

sells them for £150 a side, which I guess is reasonable given the amount of labour and small volumes involved, but it's still a bit too spendy for me!

That said, JBS option of getting lucky at a sort-out is also the way forward!

Thanks for all your responses guys...

Ok here you go, sorry for the delay! these were taken before painting so the rivet line is now blended in and the underside is undersealed to match the chassis/tub

inside view

18032008258.jpg

room for many precious things

18032008259.jpg

underneath view

18032008261.jpg

Outside view

18032008257.jpg

its just 3mm treadplate bent up to fit under the arch with a flange bent up to allow much silicone and rivets through the tub, I can put my foot through the hatch and it takes my full weight so strong enough!

Mike