defender 90 pressure in water expansion tank

I have a 90 2.5TD and even when the engine is cold there is still pressure in the expansion tank its been off the road now for 3 months while i do some work on it and I took the expansion cap off [which is new] and there was still pressure in the system. Is this something to worry about. I have checked the overflow pipe and its clear even tryed another cap but still the same.

Any idea's welcome.

The cooling system on TDi engines are pressurised, TD engines aren't! As you have a Defender I assume it's a 200 or 300TDi so all is well!

incorrect, all the cooling systems are pressurised because it raises the boiling point, 15psi is the normal pressure rating for the caps.

All engines pressurise the cooling system once they are up to operating temperature - this is why there a pressure cap on either the radiator or the header tank with the release pressure stamped on them. An engine in good working order may well have some residual pressure in the system - even if the engine is cold. If there is compression loss into the cooling system, then the system will over-pressurise and this is evident by rock solid radiator hoses, interior heater blowing cold only, temp guage reading cold or into the red within a short space of time, water from the exhaust, coolant loss, unexpected leaks.

Les.

i had a problem with excessive pressure in my 300tdi due to head failure. fixed it

still had prob and it turned out to be carp clips on water hoses so replaced them all and its ace now.

when they heated up air got in but when cold sealed again and building pressure