Stereo with built in Bluetooth ...

I am going to replace the stereo in my 200tdi 90 very soon. The Sony unit I have has finally given up after 11 years of service.

I am thinking about one of these units with the built in bluetooth for a phone kit. Does anyone have one fitted in a Defender ?

Do they work ok with the ambient noise in a Land Rover?

Cheers

In my experience its not the bluetooth that proves to be any problem, or being able to hear the caller as their voice is normally played through the speakers that the stereo uses. Its getting good pick up of your voice so the caller can hear you. I have found parrot to be a good hands free kit as they have a hardwired mic that you can place in the cab to pick up your voice. (mines in the top right hand corner of my screen)

There are now a few bluetooth stereo's available with parrot built in that come with a mic on a wire that you can place where ever you chose in the cab, I think good old Halfords sells one of these so you can go and push the buttons before you buy it.

Hope thats of some help to you.

In my experience its not the bluetooth that proves to be any problem, or being able to hear the caller as their voice is normally played through the speakers that the stereo uses. Its getting good pick up of your voice so the caller can hear you. I have found parrot to be a good hands free kit as they have a hardwired mic that you can place in the cab to pick up your voice. (mines in the top right hand corner of my screen)

There are now a few bluetooth stereo's available with parrot built in that come with a mic on a wire that you can place where ever you chose in the cab, I think good old Halfords sells one of these so you can go and push the buttons before you buy it.

link

Hope thats of some help to you.

Ian,

Thanks for the link. Loks like exactly what I am looking for. Slightly over my budget (it is being bought as a pressy) but I can wait for a Sale or check prices elsewhere.

Does anyone actually have one (or similar) fitted?

A buddy of mine saw a bluetooth unit for sale in Aldi for £49, sd card, usb etc. This may be of use,if not there are plenty on a 'certain internet auction' site, just do a quick search with a budget set, and you'll see what I mean.

I find the old fashioned corded hands free set much better, as I can hear the caller and mike is not too far away. (also they are quite cheap to buy and if they break, cheap to replace)

however, using a bluetooth connection, I find my bluetooth hands free unit, keeps disconnecting.

Hope that helps.

I went along this line of thought when I bought a new head unit a couple of months ago.

In the end I didn't bother with the built in bluetooth option. My reasoning was that because the microphones are behind the fascia of the stereo, and because a stereo in a Defender is so far away from the intended sound source (one's mouth), it is unlikely to pick up anything of much use. Many web reviews I read complained about this exact point in 'normal' cars.

In the end I bought a cheaper Sony head unit with a USB port for playing MP3s from a memory stick, and a Parrot CK3100 system from Road Radio. They were by far the cheapest option.

I'm extremely impressed with this unit. The mic is clipped to the sun visor and picks up my voice well at 70MPH, as long as the windows are shut. Sound playback is very good too. The device works perfectly with my Nokia E51, accessing its phone book etc. I've mounted the controller above the rear view mirror where it's fairly out of sight but still visible to the user.

Recommended solution!