could i????

craig

im having a bit of a sort out and have the following bits available

-series 2a with a knackered engine, rag top with full roll cage and arc log book

-v8 engine with auto box and transfer box

-disco axles

got all the tools and most of the skills and a nice warm garage ready for the autumn/winter so.....

i was thinking of putting in the v8 auto into the 2a and fitting the disco axles.....

is this feasible? can i get leaf spring mounts to weld onto the disco axles rather than go coil or do i fabricate them? what about spring over?

im currently putting a 300 tdi in my 110 and after selling my 90 challenge truck fancy a new toy.....

any opinions welcome

cheers

Of course you can, many have done it before.

There will be difficulties, naturally, especially with the front axle as the springs and the diff and the track rod try to occupy the same physical space. Your vehicle licencing authority/insurance company may have queries and problems, depending on your local legislation. The propshafts may be very short at the back.

But to be honest the 2a restored is worth more. And then you could sell the 2a and buy a bowler or similar.

Nothing against modified trucks, but the Series vehicles are approaching "historic" status and does seem a shame to muck one up, esp as an old 90 would achieve what you wnat to do at much lower level of modification, hassle cost and insurance woes.

Sorry it's not a glowing recommendation of one or the other, but hopefully some food for the mind.

G.

Yeah it's prob doable?!

I think you're making it hard for yourself though.

The v8 & auto is a really long combination & will push the engine a long way forward. I doubt you'd be able to keep the series grill & the sump will prob clash with the front axle.

I'd be more inclined to keep the series gearbox with the v8.

Fabricate your own weld on mounts to match the disco axles to leaf sprung.

I have put coiler axles on mine, witha defender 5speed and trasnfer.

With the auto( even longer) you will struggle to get it in. it will fit, but you will ave a very short rear prop.

you will need to move the engine as farforwards as possible. To do this you will need to use a modern car rad and ellecy fan thats alot thinner or alternatively something like a defender tdi ( which will fit above the front crossmember). That will allow you to move the engine about 100mm forwards.

To be honest, this is alot of work, and personnally i wish i had just brought a defender.

Firstly, it depends on many factors:

How original is the SIIa? if it is fairly original, then as a previous poster stated, restore as they are historic vehicles and command quite a good price, especially nice ones.

If it is a 'bitsa' then modding it is no great sacraledge.

Is the SIIa a 88" or a 109"?

If it is a 109, have you seen what a bunch of mad germans did with a 109? (4.6 v8, bulkead moved to the b piller, extended bonnet and wings etc, 'roadster'?

that aside, converting the axles, suspension, engine and gearbox all reduce it's tax exempt status

Original Chassis, or Chassis NEW from manufacture with satisfactory evidence (i.e. not a S/H Chassis!) scores 5 points,

original Suspension (i.e. if originally leaf sprung then remains so, you can have new components like new shockers and springs, but the same type as original) scores 2 points,

you can also score 2 points for original Steering assembly.

you can also score 2 points for original Transmission

you can also score 2 points for original Axles

Only 1 point is scored if you use the original Engine. Sadly, as the L/R & R/R have a separate chassis which have the numbers on them the body counts for Zero!

If you can look through the above, and score 8 then you are still legally tax exempt,

From what you mentioned about changing the axles / transmission and suspension you will loose 7 points as a start or nine if you fit pas!

HTH

• 1 month later...

will a 3.5 v8 bolt onto the original gearbox?

you'll need an adaptor plate. if its got a 9" clutch in there i would suggest at least the 9.5" diesel clutch or a taxi clutch like i put in (good for lots of clutch use at high rev's). you'll also need to make up some mounts, there may be a set ready made on the market but mine are just 3 pieces of plate welded together using the same chassis points.

the standard oil filter on the v8 fouls with the front diff, ive put a 101 pump body and filter housing on there.

only other problem if your using the standard radiator you may need to move the lower port to the far left and the top port to the far right.