Classic: doors lock when ignition-key is turned !

Smokydiesel

When I turn the igniton-key into the second position on my 1992 EFI, all the doors lock automaticly (provided all doors are closed)

Just wanted to know if this is a fault (dodgy earth ?)or just another great safety feature (if so, how can I turn it off please...?)

Thanks !

I don't know whether this was a standard feature on later models of RRC, my 1990 RRC does not do this.

I know some aftermarket immobiliser/alarm systems have been able to do this for many years. The simplest systems that engage when ignition is one, as you describe, create the perfect situation to get locked out of your car with the engine on.

Most modern cars don't lock the doors until the car is moving above a certain speed. The idea is to prevent car-jacking.

My '95 RRC doesn't do this, and never has, and that's an LR alarm system. Of course it's a different set of electrics, as the softdash was pretty much a Disco.

It's possible an aftermarket system does it though.

The idea is to prevent car-jacking.

OT - the systems we get in the UK are basic compared to what's fitted in some countries. My father had a Toyota Corolla for a company car (don't think he thanked them for that...) when he was in Venezuela. It had an original factory security system that required you to carry out a number of actions with the controls, in the correct order, within a certain time after starting it. If you failed to do so then the immobiliser would kick in after a couple of miles. The idea was that if you got car jacked the (almost certainly armed) thieves would be well away from you by the time the car died on them. Locking the doors wasn't much use without bullet-proofing...

I don't know whether this was a standard feature on later models of RRC, my 1990 RRC does not do this.

I know some aftermarket immobiliser/alarm systems have been able to do this for many years. The simplest systems that engage when ignition is one, as you describe, create the perfect situation to get locked out of your car with the engine on.

Most modern cars don't lock the doors until the car is moving above a certain speed. The idea is to prevent car-jacking.

Ahhh....could very well be the case here, it has been fitted with an after market immobiliser.

Thanks for pointing this out !

Edwin