Ground Anchors

JST

I like the idea of having one, and have the need for one.

I dont like the prices of them.

Therefore i am looking to make my own.

Anyone any designs they want to share?????

Pron not but i had to ask!

James, what type do you want? Solid or foldable? Do you want it to be light weight or super strong? Pretty much everything off the shelf is a compromise (although so are very good compromises) which is why I've got one of Nige's Kitty Grippers. This is a lovely bit of kit BUT it took Nige forever to build and is not without a couple of little glitches (mainly because Nige built it too well :P ) but they're easy to sort.

I think the big problem you'll run into is material; the only reason Nige built the bathes of KGs is so he didn't end up wasting LOADS of steel! Unless you're up for silly amounts of work or don't mind shelling out a lot on steel then it might be time to start looking in the rags...

P.S. If you want to borrow mine for measurements that's no problem.

As a very cheap solution, a mate of mine has made one out of a large piece of rectangular box section which he retrieved from a scrap bin, and drilled a number of holes through it. He fixes it to the ground with 4 metal stakes. It's slow to set up & dismantle, but cheap as chips to make. It's effective too, I've seen it used to drag his RRC out of a number of sticky spots / high axle situations.

This is a lovely bit of kit BUT it took Nige forever to build and is not without a couple of little glitches (mainly because Nige built it too well :P )

Mine has a couple of little glitches too :ph34r:

Military anchor I also have is a big heavy pig of a thing to set but in firm ground it will hold just about anything, problem here being there isn't much firm ground. You do need longer pins though Turbocharger....

Cheers for the replies.

i am looking for a spade type, solid (non folding that is) but with removable spade end - 2 bolts to connect it etc.

Will whats the dimms of the spade part. any chance of a sketch? including the angle?

Sorry forgot to add, it needs to be pretty heavy for when White90 codrives for me!!!!

What about getting a length of 2" CDS tube bent to the right angle. Find a bit of tube which fits neatly inside or over the CDS and weld that to the spade such that one slots into the other. Flatten & bore hole in other end for cable mounting.

I have a feeling that the amount of force required to un-bend the tube is greater than the amount of pull you are putting in. If not, the slimmest of gussett on the inside of the bend will fix it.

This could be quite light weight, will look good and meets the other requirements.

Si