Dislocation or Relocation Cones?

axlechorus

Hi

I am looking at getting a pair of either dislocation or relocation cones for the back of my Discovery 1 200tdi. It is running +2inch OME springs with +4inch prop comp rear shocks so I need come cones as I managed to pop a spring out on a recent laning trip when traversing a cross axle up hill. I have had a look about and have narrowed my choice down to either of these.

Gwyn Lewis spring relocators that work from the top

- http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page68.html

or the QT services relocation cone things.

- http://www.qtservices.co.uk/parts/range-rover-classic/reverse-dislocation-cones-a204_reverse-dislocation-cones-a204.html

They are pretty much the same price so that doesnt matter. What I am interested in is how they work on the road as I do a fair few motorway miles in it and also how successful/reliable they are in locating the spring back after a twist as I have heard that some of the more basic dislocation cones aren't that reliable and also manage to make a sound like a shotgun when doing so.

Any input or if anyone uses something else that may be better please let me know.

Cheers

Ryck

@ nick w

thats interesting to know and something I would never have thourght about. Do you know anymore on which ones and any reasons? I'm 99% sure that our club doesnt have any policies on them as a fair few cars run with them including committee members ;)

one small thing to think about is some off road sites and clubs dont allow dislocation cones

This has me confused too, any explanation?

As far as the options, I would go with Gwyn's option, they are fine on road and aren't going to affect things or make noise as long as the spring doesn't actually dislocate.

Hi,

I didn't have a lot of luck when I used dislocation cones on the top of the spring, a few times the spring missed the cones altogether ! I then put them on the axle instead and had a lot more success. they were just the 'normal' QT style ones.

However I now use X springs and dont even think about the springs dislocating.

@Spendry - Yes the spring will max out while the shock still has more to give. I'm pretty sure I will need to increase the length of the brake hose in the middle, What are you experiances guys?

Bowie69/andy2986 - this is what I was thinking as the Gwyn ones have the hook to stop total dislocation whilst the QT ones on the bottom are in what I hear is the better position. In thinking for my the Gwyn ones would allow the additional 2 inches in their design before the hook so unless I am going onto +6 shocks which with a 2 inch lift will compromise up travel significantly that the Gwyn ones are most appropriate?

Yes.

You could go +5.5" shocks (from Gwyn) and raised shock mounts (from Gwyn) and then the relocations would have more of a job to do :) No loss of up travel either.

Surprisingly cheap TBH, though it may not be in your budget, and only requires a couple of spanners and I think it totals 9 bolts you need to undo/redo :)

@Bowie69 - Good in which case I will go with those.

Indeed they are a pretty good price as a package. However the rear shocks are only about 500miles old as I had to renew them just over a month as the old pro comps where rather shot :P and being a student now rather than on my Year In Industry I need to mind the purse strings :(

However I may well go for those in time as I renew/get some pennies. That rear setup and a Detroit locker would be rather effective I think.

Cheers for all your help.

Our Comp truck is running the Gwyn hook re-location cones, with +3" springs and +5" terra firma remote shocks.

Our articulation is more than enough. Relocation cones' hooks have managed to save the axle of Moose's truck too when his a-frame joint went. They stopped the axle rotating around too much. Not a design but a useful side effect.

I would always go Gwyn stuff, its nice, original, thought out kit and never over priced.

MHO is go with the Gwyn stuff

If some P&P sites don't allow relocation (never heard of before) just use a jubilee clip of two at the top of the springs to retain them for these odd occasions

Eeyore

This has me confused too, any explanation?

As far as the options, I would go with Gwyn's option, they are fine on road and aren't going to affect things or make noise as long as the spring doesn't actually dislocate.

Somerset & Wiltshire Land Rover Club

Home Home Taking Part RTV Supplementary Regulations

knew i saw it somewhere perhaps i was wrong about p&p sites sorry

Main Menu

•Home

â—¦About Us

â—¦Club News

â—¦Club Shop

â—¦Taking Part

â– ALRC Vehicle Classes

â– RTV Supplementary Regulations

â– CCV Supplementary Regulations

â– Membership

â—¦Events/Results

•Committee

•Gallery

•Forums

•Web Links

•Guestbook

Upcoming Events: 07.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 - Southern 2 Day CCV Team Trial | 08.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 - RTV/CCV Goosemoor | 14.08.2010 - 15.08.2010 - Berkshire 4x4 Show | 07.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 - Southern 2 Day CCV Team Trial | 08.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 - RTV/CCV Goosemoor | 14.08.2010 - 15.08.2010 - Berkshire 4x4 Show |

RTV Supplementary Regulations

Written by George Swalwell

Wednesday, 06 January 2010 06:47

Supplementary Regulations for all RTV Trials

Scrutineering.: 8.00am to 9.45am

1.All vehicles must be presented clean for scrutineering.

2.All vehicles are to have recovery points (front and rear) in accordance with ALRC rules.

3.All vehicles must carry a suitable tow rope (no chains or strops).

4.Competitors will maintain vehicle order when trailing.

5.Vehicles to be ready to move to the start line when preceding vehicle has started.

6.Failure to do this may result in a maximum penalty.

7.No looping out.

8.Cross canes not to be touched or knocked down. If this happens the score for the next gate will be given.

9.Scorecards to be marked by the Clip board Marshal only.

10.Competitors are responsible for ensuring score cards are marked prior to leaving the section.

11.Any appeals against a Marshals decision must be directed at the Group Leading Marshal only. No appeals will be accepted after the section has been completed.

12.A re-run can only be authorised by the Clerk of Course.

13.Only persons signed on are permitted to travel in competing vehicles.

14.Only competition and Official vehicles are permitted on the trials area.

15.No competitors are permitted to touch the canes. Tampering with the course will incur a maximum penalty.

16.5 MPH speed limit applies while traveling between sections.

17.Clerk of Course decision is final.

18.Suspension systems must not be modified other than within the permitted changes outlined in the ARC handbook. All coil springs must have a retaining plate fitted at the bottom and we require them to be secured at the top if dislocation is possible. Dislocation cones are not permitted.

19.Seat Belts must be worn correctly whilst on a section. A three-point seat belt must be fitted across the shoulder as well as the waist.

20.Current M.O.T certificate must be produced at signing on.

All rules as per the 2009 ARC Handbook (Green Book).

Last Updated on Saturday, 09 January 2010 10:18

Copyright © 2010 SWLRC. All Rights Reserved.

Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License. Next Events

•07.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 | 08.00 Southern 2 Day CCV...

•08.08.2010 - 08.08.2010 | 09.00 RTV/CCV Goosemoor

•14.08.2010 - 15.08.2010 | 08.00 Berkshire 4x4 Show

•21.08.2010 - 21.08.2010 | 09.30 South West Rummage...

•28.08.2010 - 30.08.2010 | 09.00 Bskerville Challen...

SWLRC Forums-Latest Posts

SWLRC Forums-Latest Posts

Re:My 90 at the Mendips....... 21-07-2010 22:03:45 admin

Re:My 90 at the Mendips....... 12-07-2010 19:53:58 Disco-Ron

Re:My 90 at the Mendips....... 12-07-2010 19:22:13 admin

My 90 at the Mendips....... 09-07-2010 22:54:37 Disco-Ron

Disco 22-06-2010 23:11:24 Julia

Buying a new one! 09-06-2010 16:58:25 PK Rich

Re:Newbie Needs Help! 01-06-2010 15:41:55 admin

Newbie Needs Help! 20-05-2010 08:15:00 Jack No Back!

More...