which diff guard

I'm pondering diff guards for the new truck.

I had the simple clamp-on ones on the old truck and they seemed ok, but never managed to actually abuse/test them too much, and having a Salisbury on the back didn't really need any protection.

pm121.jpg

I'm wondering if QT guards are worth the money for the new TD5 truck. Do they offer better protection of the diff and prop UJ, and do they actually allow you to slide over obstacles?

Front:

ZBS1554b.jpg

Rear:

ZBS1555b.jpg

Cheers.

I am not a great lover of these types of guards.

The "Bikini Ones" I have found deform when smacked hard and I have then smashed them into the hopelessly thin LR Diff Pan unit, the bolt on ones I have peeled off / lost, and they are not cheap.

Recently I discovered that Toyota F70 Axles have 7mm thick diff pans, and are slightly biger than LR and chopped and welded on, other options are the Steve Parker HD Replacement Diff Pan cover, a F70 if you can find one :lol: Or a wolf diff pan (6mm ) off a LR

Having said that it helps prob if you don't drive like a ****t at time :lol::P

Nige

Is it just a replacement pan you wouldn't want welding or any welding?

I don't have a welder or the space to buy one and learn (though I'd love to)

The Gwyn Lewis guards look nice, though if I had a welder then they could be made pretty easily... <_<

Cheap one on the front, QT on the rear.

although you can get stuck and ram your truck forwards and backwards over rocks, most the time you dont need one if going slowly. If going forward quickly however the cheap one will protect the front diff, and the QT one will protect the front of the rear diff.

I have QT guards on my 109 - Salisbury on the rear, which is the same as the Defender item, and a half height guard on the front (to allow for the Series' front track rod). That one has weld-on lugs either side of the pan for the front of the guard to bolt to, the rear end using the diff nose bolt holes. It seems very sturdy, and I can't see any reason it wouldn't fit a Defender - I plan to transfer it to my coiler axles when I do the swap..