Key barrel on tailgate door

Hope I am not reposting, I tried the search.

I am in the process of changing the locks on the rear door. I know you take the origional barrel out with the door key. I am not getting the thing out. Any ideas what I am doing wrong before I start using violence?

Thanks

Hope I am not reposting, I tried the search.

I am in the process of changing the locks on the rear door. I know you take the origional barrel out with the door key. I am not getting the thing out. Any ideas what I am doing wrong before I start using violence?

Thanks

IIRC there is a pin you need to push in through a hole in the lock mechanism.

You don't need the key you just need to push the small sprung pin in. You can push the pin in through the small hole in the lock cylinder.

The hole's location varies depending on the age of the lock. the earlier ones have the hole on the outside of the lock mechanism and you need to take the complete mechanism out of the door to get to it. The later ones have a longer barrel (more secure) and the hole is located inside the lock mechanism and you have to access it through a slot in the top of the mechanism.

The later lock keys are the same as the ignition key, much longer and more tumblers than the early ones. As the pin is a few mm down the barrel from the end of the key you should be able to figure out where it will be by the length of the key.