HID Light conversions

Ferreting about in my garage (no the bloody landrover don't fit in it unless I take the wheels off) I found a HID headlamp kit I bought a few years ago from Scorpion Racing, now in a discussion with a friend, he suggested that a chap from VOSA said that technically speaking they were not legal for road use even if they were E marked. Thsi was due to the actual headlamp reflectors not being homologated for use with HID bulbs. As the glow worms that currently reside in the headlamps are getting a tadge tired, I was going to pop the HID kit on.

What does the collective mind think??

do a search first, this came up a while ago.

you can fit them as additional lights but not use them to replace the existing headlights,

vehicles with HID headlights must have, self levelling suspension. load levelling for the lights & a pressure wash for the lights IIRC.

The 110 almost has self levelling suspension, fitting a headlamp washer system has been on the cards for quite a while (got the bits kicking round somewhwere, including a rather snazzy set of 3 series BMW headlamp wipers), and I was considering, at one point fitting electric headlamp adjusters, just for a laugh.

Think I might stich with the glow worms for now!

Cheers mate

I may be wrong about the self lebelling suspension, but HID lights are best off factory fitted & then they would comply with the required lighting & construction regs.

I changed my headlights to the crystal lens variant & stayed with standard wattage bulbs, the focus & beam pattern is done by the headlight bowl in these & not the lens, much better for night driving & with 30% brighter but standard wattage bulbs would probably be even better

I think that a HID lighting system effectively has to be factory fitted, with automatic headlight levelling and wash. Badly adjusted HIDs are dangerously dazzling IMHO.

As Ralph has said, some good modern headlights and spendy bulbs make enough of a difference not to need anything more.....

If you have glow worms fitted as you describe your headlights. May I suggest you do two things

Fit Hella headlights

Wire the headlights up with decent size wire and relays in the engine compartment and stop all the volt drop in the headlight wiring.

I shall have to feed the glow worms instead

As Ralph says, E-marked Crystal headlamps with +80% 55/60W bulbs in. All completely legal (the construction and use regs apply to power consumption and E-marking) provided they are correctly adjusted in accordance with the manufacturer's spec.

Ye gods the difference (and no wiring changes at all).