Discovery 200 TDI gear problems

leon_81

A friend of mine has a J plate 200 TDI Disco. He has a pretty useless handbrake, so parks it in gear... Last week he started it without checking and it lurched forwards as the starter motor turned...

Since then, he has had problems selecting gears. Firstly he couldn’t get 2nd – all other gears were ok. Then 2nd came back but when he selects it, the reverse lights come on! and now he can’t get 4th

I should add that this happened on a day we were off roading at a pay and play site as I guess this could have had an effect. I’m not too familiar with gearboxes etc, but can only assume something has got bent or broken somewhere – the question is what

Any help or suggestions as to starting points, what to check and how to go about it appreciated!

Cheers

Leon

I would suggest that the problems occurring after starting it in gear are simply coincidence.

If it actually problems selecting the correct gear, rather than a dragging clutch, then I'd look at the bias springs on the top of the gear selector.

I would also take a look at the Bias springs and principally the Bias plate that is in there. These are notorious for breaking off/bending leading to problems selecting gears. I have removed mine after such issues of loosing 3rd and 4th whilst off road and now have no issues though the box does fit in first and second.

To access remove the centre console, rubbers over the gearbox and then look inside the main gearbox section.

Cheers

I would also take a look at the Bias springs and principally the Bias plate that is in there. These are notorious for breaking off/bending leading to problems selecting gears. I have removed mine after such issues of loosing 3rd and 4th whilst off road and now have no issues though the box does fit in first and second.

To access remove the centre console, rubbers over the gearbox and then look inside the main gearbox section.

Cheers

Ditto, had the same one a 200 I had & I used to start that in gear quite often :blush:

John

we went to picadilly wood, we didn't go through anything deeper than 5-6 inches. his problems started as soon as we got there - before we actually did any playing!

we'll get the centre console out asap and have a look in through the transmission tunnel to see if anything looks bent/broken

cheers guys!

• 2 weeks later...

well it took a while to get round to having a look! but at the weekend we set about pulling the centre console apart and after a while we found the problem... a strip of metal about 35mm x 15mm was wedged in the top of the gear stick "hole" stopping the lever being able to move into 4th

i guess this is part of the bias plate that has snapped off and fallen in? anyway, we pulled it out and he has all the gears again

thanks for the advice!