OS maps

GBMUD

I am looking for some OS Landranger maps. I need to cover the whole of Wiltshire so I guess that means several maps. I intend replacing all my old maps with new ones which I can mark up with only BOATs rather than the BOATs and RUPPs I had on the old ones. As well as not wanting to drive on any RBs, there are lots of RUPPs and BWs that have been upgraded to BOATs and are not marked on maps - I have driven a couple of these new BOATs where bridleways have been upgraded but the OS maps still show their old classification. They are wonderful, smooth, grassy tracks, barely distinguishable from the ground that surrounds them. I wonder how long that will remain the case once every Tom, Dick and Harriet finds them? :( I will visit the ROW department to mark the maps from the definitive maps.

So, anyway, back to the question... Where is the cheapest place to buy Landranger maps from? I guess that an online retailer is my best bet?

Thanks

Chris

I got mine for wales from amazon. They are listed in market place at silly prices (like £1.20) due to the postage that amazon automatically charge for market place items. If you buy several from the same seller, you get charged postage for each individual item....

Mark

I would not get any yet, wait til they have changed all the maps to show the RBs.

Paul

I don't want to wait (potentially years) and OS maps are often wrong anyway so by getting maps and visiting the ROW dept with a highlighter pen I can get the most up to date information.

Chris

i would still check the date on the them, it may not be far off the ones you have. check edn no. you can phone ord GB and check what is the latest map sheet for specific map number, i can get the number if you need it.

forgot to add - cheapest place to get them i have found is my place of work, after that WHS just as good as any although still £5 a map.

Have you looked into Memory Map software? OS maps of all GB.....

Yup. Fantastic tool but for me it cannot replace paper maps entirely. My use of MM is really just for tracking where I am with moving map GPS. As Mark suggests, I want a marked-up hard copy so I can get a good overview and plan ahead to a degree not possible with a computer screen - especially since I use a PDA at the moment. :) Mind you, I could print all the maps I need for less than the cost of OS maps. :)

Cheers

Chris

I would not get any yet, wait til they have changed all the maps to show the RBs.

Paul

AFAIK the only change on OS maps will be in the key, changing the _._._ to say RB rather than RUPP - I believe the symbol stays the same

STEVE

AFAIK the only change on OS maps will be in the key, changing the _._._ to say RB rather than RUPP - I believe the symbol stays the same

STEVE

The maps changed last year to show open access land as well. But the key will change. But some of rights to the Byways will change as well. The only way to get the most uptodate info is to contact the local ROW office.

I use MM as I have most of the UK in 1-25000 and all the UK in 1-50000. I plan the routes on the 1-25000 maps and run the 1-50000 on the PDA, it takes up less roon on the memory card.

Paul