Screw kits - who where?

Cartman

A bud is looking for a source of stainless screw kits for a ground up rebuild of a LWT.

In the dim and distant past there was a member of the LRE forum that sold these. Anyone know his contact info or an alternative?

Cheers,

Paul :rolleyes:

RTBarton does them, alternatively he could do as I did, convert all the UNF fasteners that is possible to Metric and save 60% of the cost! saved myself something like £400 in stainless fasteners on my 109 since it's littered with the stuff

Indeed, try roger, he posts here as well as the old place. Alternatly a company called LR fasteners are good too.

I have no affiliation to either, and have used both in the past! ;)

Cheers

Mark

Unfortunately I've had to suspend my mail-order business due to my car being stolen and subsequently being ripped off by Cornhill Insurance.

Since my local post office closed I relied on the car, but it's just not viable to do the 2 mile round trip to the nearest PO on foot.

PS - many thanks for the kind words :)

I use some stainless steel but have come across posts that state stainless is the worst possible material when used with aluminium parts - you'll need to google/search the web for more details.

In my case I can't see what is wrong with galvanised fasteners - if the originals lasted 30 years and still in good shape, (even though I still replace most of them), I don't see why new ones won't last just as long.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it's called electrolytic / galvanic corrosion, to do with the electrical properties of the metals reacting, that's why LR doors bubble up where the steel frame meets the ally skin.

There are ways round it - as has been said, SS fasteners are not always the best solution as the fastener will not corrode but your beloved LR will, I'd rather replace a fastener than a bit of LR :( There are also pastes/greases/coatings used in industry (boat building & aerospace) to prevent it.

If you google you can find ractivity tables which show you the different values for different metals, you really want to use metals that are as close as possible on the table, or failing that I think you either chose higher or lower so the fastener corrodes rather than your LR. I'm sure a bit of googling will reveal all anyway.

aiy, that's the one, however it's best to just use a good jointing compound or grease between the stainless and alloy, than rather have a bolt shrivel up on you or rot solid. I've had issues with mild steel eating the alloy on the Series, so stainless is the least of my problem's (who was it who did the FFR conversions, they'd never heard of grease :angry: )

• 11 months later...
A bud is looking for a source of stainless screw kits for a ground up rebuild of a LWT.

In the dim and distant past there was a member of the LRE forum that sold these. Anyone know his contact info or an alternative?

Cheers,

Paul :rolleyes:

Hi

Screwfix is a good cheap source for SS stuff, only in metric though, this is not a problem for most body related fastenings, just buy nuts as well.

Beware of using SS on anything that requires high tensile as they are not as strong as HT steel and tend to snap. They also have a curious property that the threads bind up easily when new. All this said you have no idea how much more pleasant it is slacken a nut and be able to spin it off by hand, I fit them wherever I can.

Re the corrosion thing, yes they will corrode ally slightly more than zinc plated ones ( higher up the galvanitic scale or something) but it's never given me a problem, rubber washer or a bit of silicone sealant judiciously applied helps.

Steve