Insurance

rtbarton

My renewal from Saga has just come through with the following alteration

"Glossary of terms

Trailer

A single-axled road vehicle of standard manufacturer's construction towed by a motor vehicle adhering to all towing regulations and fitted with a standard 50mm towball, excluding mechanically propelled vehicles, caravans, trailer tents, vehicle transporters food bars and horse boxes."

Doesn't leave much choice!

Might be worth checking your policies as they are renewed.

Hmm, well spotted. Just double checked mine, it says:

We will also insure you while the Insured Vehicle is towing a caravan, trailer or broken-down vehicle, so long as the towing is allowed by law and the caravan, trailer or broken-down vehicle is attached properly to the Insured Vehicle by towing equipment made for this purpose.

So I think I'm ok, in fact those words are nice and general in some respects.

The grey area on mine is if the off-road event I'm attending (which I've got cover for) happens to be on an airfield... (why they specifically exclude airfields, I've no idea)

Hmm, single axle trailer only, seems they need to update that, as a fair few caravans are double axle & there are double & triple axle trailers out there too.

might be worth asking how you stand with a double axle ifor williams trailer for example.

A single-axled road vehicle of standard manufacturer's construction towed by a motor vehicle adhering to all towing regulations and fitted with a standard 50mm towball, excluding mechanically propelled vehicles, caravans, trailer tents, vehicle transporters food bars and horse boxes."

I wonder where a self build/home made/amateur build trailer would stand?

For example a caravan suspension or some Indespension units with a frame, platform or box trailer built on to suit your own specific requirements but of no particular 'manufacturer's standard'.

I wonder where a self build/home made/amateur build trailer would stand?

For example a caravan suspension or some Indespension units with a frame, platform or box trailer built on to suit your own specific requirements but of no particular 'manufacturer's standard'.

I wondered about that. If you build a trailer to Ifor Williams' standard would you be covered? If you had an accident with such a trailer how would you prove it was built to a standard?

Won't be long before you need seperate insurance and MOT for trailers. They already do in most of Europe so we are bound to follow..... Just a thought.this has been suggested as far back as year 2000,good in that it will remove some truly dreadful death traps,summer is interesting for us as we live on a road leading to a slipway,we must see at least a dozen trailers with collapsed wheel bearings each summer,they are usually blocking the road at straw bale carting time!!