Back steel bumper

Scruffyhippo

I've been looking around at rear bumpers and need something a bit more rugged than the standard one on my commercial discovery, it will get a lot of abuse from loading tools the mixer etc and the existing one is already in a sad state, one that has taken my interest is listed on ebay My link

any thoughts or recommendations gratefully received :)

I've just made one for my D2. 100mm channel with some end plates welded on. Not bad if I do say so myself, and no more expensive than postage for any of the above bumpers ;)

Needs a lick of paint which will have to wait until next week, then I'll post a pic.

I'm sure you could make something, after all, it's only gonna get bashed and scratched anyway :P

Saying that, the First Four one is very tough, I know a few guys who abuse them regularly.

I've been looking around at rear bumpers and need something a bit more rugged than the standard one on my commercial discovery, it will get a lot of abuse from loading tools the mixer etc and the existing one is already in a sad state, one that has taken my interest is listed on ebay My link

any thoughts or recommendations gratefully received :)

ive got one of these ,they are a copy of the old discoparts rear bumper

ive still managed to bend mine though

Thanks folks, I must admit the Firstfour one looks good too, but the idea of making one appeals to my constructive side :) but either way for the moment this will have to wait as I have found another more pressing issue lurking under the rear bumper.

After checking why the bumper lights didn't work I was poking around underneath (as you do) and found someone has tried to glue the chassis to body cross memebr mounts with large amounts of gob and black bitumen it hasn't worked (why am I not surprised) so have found the part via MPS trading http://www.mps4x4store.co.uk/ so considering I've been driving it nearly 400 miles since I have had it in the last 2 weeks consider it lucky I found it now.

Oh well back to using the Polo for now till I get it welded up :(

I agree sutty the firstfour one does look good, also having a flat top means i could checkerplate the whole length of it making the paint last longer :)

The whole thing with mine is it has to be practical so don't mind the utility look of channel and seem to remeber the older LR's had a similar front bumper with curved ends, (think our old tow truck was a series 2)so would follow something along those lines.

As many of my past projects have been building plant or farm machinery I know what bends and what works so good to hear something works off the shelf so to speak :)

Even the ladder rack I bought and fitted for it was meant for a defender but fits well but already I am designing extra 1" x 1" bar from back to front to strengthen it and even putting inner straps of 2" x 1/4" steel the length of the roof and bolting the whole lot together (must work out maximum timber loading) the only other thing on my list for the back at the moment is a roof ladder but not overly impressed with the discovery one's available for the rear door so may have to design my own.