brake problems

Deface

Hello, recently my 1992 200tdi 90 has acquired a few (more) problems, when I go to brake there seems to be too much travel in the pedal before there is any resistance and if the engine is being revved or I am engine braking and I press the brake pedal it goes pretty much straight to the floor and I have to pump the pedal to get the resistance back, also it pulls to the right when I brake but whether these problems are related or not I dont know.

I have replaced the front discs and pads and brake fluid as it needed doing anyway but problem is still there.

All help appretiated

Thanks

Ethan

Hello, recently my 1992 200tdi 90 has acquired a few (more) problems, when I go to brake there seems to be too much travel in the pedal before there is any resistance and if the engine is being revved or I am engine braking and I press the brake pedal it goes pretty much straight to the floor and I have to pump the pedal to get the resistance back, also it pulls to the right when I brake but whether these problems are related or not I dont know.

I have replaced the front discs and pads and brake fluid as it needed doing anyway but problem is still there.

All help appretiated

Thanks

Ethan

the lack of resistance sounds like air in the system, try bleeding it again. the pulling issue could be the caliper on the oposite side siezed try lifting the fromt wheels and spin one at a time whilst someone else operates the brakes.

Brake pulling to the right, you probably have a seized calliper piston; try forcing the calliper pistons back to free them up.

Air in the system I would expect to be the main culprit however its worth inspecting the brake master cylinder also could well be at fault, the brake fluid may be passing back past the seal when you press the peddle

when you fitted new pads did the pistons go back in easily. was their any fluid loss?

is the brake fluid level remaining constant?

How did you bleed the system, one man eazi bleed or two man?

Have you checked the rear drums or are they discs now?

Is there any wobble in the wheels if you jack them up?

If you brake and pump to get resistance and the vehicle is brought to a stop do you get brake resistance straight away without excess pedal travel if you release the pedal and push it again (veh still stationary)? if yes but then you loose that feel again as soon as you move then its wheel bearings.

does the vacuum pump and servo work?

Thanks for all the replies

.When i did the pads and discs and pushed the pistons back there was no fluid loss and they went back easily

.When i changed the fluid i used a 1 man air operated bleeder that sucks out the fluid from the bleed nipples

.The fluid has remained constant

.I have also recently replaced both front wheel bearings which have no play in them still

.There is still travel in the pedal when stationary

Today i had some time to look at it, and i clamped off the rear flexi hose and took it for a little drive and there was no travel in the pedal at all, although now it seems to want to pull to the left slightly when braking. So when i get another half hour or so i will have a look at the rear drums and see if adjusting them will make a difference.

Thanks again

ethan