bit of advice on rear x member

jimmy mad

Have a bit of a delemer my mig welder has gone up in smoke :angry:

but can tig weld it has be done tomz for my mate is it ok to tig weld it on its one of the ones with the sleaves

cant see why it would be a neater job as well just wandered if any reasons cant tig weld it ???? :blink:

want your veiws on it cheers james

Ill tig it with a wp9 and button cap with a short sheild and gas lense recon ill get that in and will leave a nice finish

i normaly tig every thing as no cleaning or grinding down after its welded only prep cleaning is a bit more intense but should be ok was shore my self but just wanted to check had a little voice saying must be a reason every one migs them not tig

thinking about it prop cause its easy to piont and poo with a mig :hysterical::hysterical:

I just watched the "landrover maintenance" youtube vid someone posted a link to in the video section on here.

Now armed with the knowledge from that video I would suggest that the best course of action would be to clear out the hole with "metal instruments", glass-fibre over it and slap some hammerite on. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Sorry- couldn't resist :D

a little voice saying must be a reason every one migs them not tig

thinking about it prop cause its easy to piont and poo with a mig :hysterical::hysterical:

Because TIG'ing is harder and the equipment is way more expensive.

Ill tig it with a wp9 and button cap with a short sheild and gas lense recon ill get that in and will leave a nice finish

Any chance of a translation? :P :P :P

Any chance of a translation? :P :P :P

"wp9' type of Tig torch, small light weight some with flexible shafts to aid getting into tight spaces :D:wub:

"button cap" small short cap on the back of the torch to reduce overall length :P

"short shield" short gas shield at the nose of the torch ,again to reduce overall length :)

"gas lens" short large diametter collet to hold the short fat tungsten electrode :unsure:

Think this is right not 100% on the last one :blush:

Like Landmannn says MIG is cheaper and more accesible for most people. It does the job when most folks aren't bothered about the finish just the strenthg,speed and low cost along with the lack of littl ebits to bust.

I can MIG reasonably well, I've tried TIG but if I need something doing that well I'll ask a mate, I just don't get the practice to improve so I don't try. I'm probably not alone there.

I have tried MIGing stainless, that was challenging.

"gas lens" short large diametter collet to hold the short fat tungsten electrode :unsure:

Think this is right not 100% on the last one :blush:

A gas lens is an insert which goes in the torch and produces laminar flow of the shielding gas. This increases the effectiveness and accuracy of the shield, and is particularly good for high precision short range work.

I have tried MIGing stainless, that was challenging.

Easy enough with the right wire and an argon based shielding gas, but you need plenty of power. Not easy with cheapy welders which only have disposable CO2 gas cartridges and low power.

Nick.