poorly P38

Diefer

My apologies for this being a rather vague question.

I use my 2000 Range Rover to tow a twin axle caravan, last time I was away I noticed some loss of power especially going up hill; where it would usually leave others standing even with the ‘van on the back.

Since then, between 3000 & 4000 revs, it just sits there until the ‘box shifts which can take a little longer than it should, the revs don’t move…..just sits at 3500 until I let off the throttle. Even between 1 and 3 thou revs, it doesn’t seem right, not for a 4.6.

The management light hasn’t come on and nothing in the message centre has come up. I’m slightly worried as I need to tow the ‘van from Berkshire to Lancashire in Oct and worried it won’t make it. It had it’s last service at 92,000 miles back in January where I asked for all fluids including gearbox, transfer box diffs to be changed but don’t think was done.

Any light that could be shed would be great, if not, it’s down the garage.

Many thanks in advance

Diefer

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have managed to get it to a garage and they reckon there's air leaking from somewhere at the back of the engine. Not sure if it's a gasket or a pipe perished/split to the rear of the bay but they won't know until they've had it on the ramp to get a better look.

It's going in on Monday for diagnosis and repair....fingers crossed. Other than this problem it runs as sweet as a nut, beautiful truck.....just wish it was a bit cheaper to run and maintain :( .

Thanks again,

Diefer

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys,

Here's an update. The garage reckon it's possibly worn cams, similar problem as the TVR's a few years ago, same engine? The truck has just over 96,000 miles on the clock and I have been told it's about now they tend to wear out as the hydraulic lifters have taken all the slack they can. I have been quoted mega ££ to get fixed as it’s a labour intensive job.

Is it also worth having the Lifters changed too or is that part of the course?

Many thanks again guys for your input

Diefer

Ask the garage to check airflow meter readings,they should be 22-25kg/hr at idle and 90 ish kg/hr at 3000rpm with the aircon off,engine hot.Less than that and the engine ecu wont allow enough fuel to make good power - very common on Bosch injected v8's.

The cam and lifters will be worn,but changing them is not going to restore performance if the mixture is too lean.

I'd be checking the oil first. If it was replaced, check if there's enough in it. Go through all the gears with the engine running, then check the oil level. If it wasn't replaced, replace it.

I don't think there's a dipstick to check the gearbox oil on a P38, I've certainly never found it. It does shift without any problems, except between 3 and 4 thou' revs

Ask the garage to check airflow meter readings,they should be 22-25kg/hr at idle and 90 ish kg/hr at 3000rpm with the aircon off,engine hot.Less than that and the engine ecu wont allow enough fuel to make good power - very common on Bosch injected v8's.

The cam and lifters will be worn,but changing them is not going to restore performance if the mixture is too lean.

All airflow readings and exhaust emissions are bob on, it really is running as sweet as a nut which did surprise the technician . I think it only leaves the cam scenario

Hi guys, another update.

While techi bloke was stripping down the engine, while removing the inlet manifold, there were a few bolts loose and the gaskets had perished. Further stripping found the cams to be perfectly servicable. Valves opening and closing correctly so no problems there. Mechanic reckons it could've just been the manifold so has a whole bunch of gaskets and bolts on order and putting it back together (hopefully as I type this) so fingers crossed, all should be well now.

Diefer

Am i missing something? I thought the 'symptoms' were not changing gear correctly?

Hi SteveRK,

The car had a major loss of power between 2500 and 4000 rpm and was causing it to not shift gear properly, it would literally hold a gear at about 3500rpm.

I've since had the car back for a week and been away with it. Christ does it now go some!!

All gaskets have been replaced vertually from the block up, new HT leads and coil packs. New Air Mass Flow meter also. it now runs so much sweeter and sounds like a V8 should too.

post-21181-090556500 1288517002_thumb.jpg

Well chuffed

Diefer