OT; Le Mans 24 hours 2011

FridgeFreezer

Apologies if this is off topic - but I am planning to raise the tone by going in my Land Rover :P

A number of years back I went to the Le Mans 24 hours with some mates and it was awesome, so a group of us are aiming to go there next year. The trouble is, I can't remember many details about the organisation from last time (different mates, organised through friends-of-friends) and some of the contingent are wives & girlfriends who worry about things like "facilities" :rolleyes:

So the first question is "has anyone been there more recently than me?" and if so can any light be shed upon where to camp or avoid, where to book tickets (there are a number of agents / organisers offering packages etc.) and most critically - feedback on the facilities for the female contingent (first-person accounts from the sandbags have been deemed most trustworthy / most persuasive :ph34r: )

Second question is - is anyone else going? Should we be staking a bit of territory for the landies?

I went in 2002 (the year when it rained twice; once for 10 hours, and then for 12 hours). the campsite we used was called carting nord. I can check with my mates who go every year for details. Good do, when your single and it dont rains, I reckon.

Daan

Went a few years ago. Great value when you compare it to the British GP. You could buy tickets cheaper if you joined the club that runs it the Automobile Club d'Ouest or something like that.

Met lots of people camping at the circuit some very well equipped with gazebo's, and 52" plasma's, fridges, etc, etc.

Very friendly

Fridge, Le Mans is great fun although I haven't been in a couple of years - I went in 2006, 2007 and 2008. I agree that it is far better value than things like the British Grand Prix: the atmosphere is better, you get closer to the cars and it is more exciting. The group I tend to go with don't do the usual Le Mans experience, though. We tend to sail from Portsmouth to Cherbourg on the Wednesday morning and return Caen to Portsmouth on Monday afternoon. This gives a nice, fairly quiet and generally Gendarme free drive down to Le Mans. We also don't tend to camp on circuit due to the facilities (or lack there of ;) ). We have a small, catered, campsite that we use that is a couple of miles outside Arnage. It isn't cheap but it is nice, serves food on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, has a bar that isn't stupidly expensive, has an excellent shower block that always has hot showers and things won't get stolen. It is, though, quite expensive. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it is about £350 - 400 per person including circuit passes and parking for one car at the circuit.

Daan, where is Carting Nord again? I seem to remember it being in about the same place as the campsite by the Porsche curves that all the Danes go to. I remember having a rather interesting afternoon in there when we snuck in their camp to find beer and watch the Grand Prix qualifying......

Daan, where is Carting Nord again? I seem to remember it being in about the same place as the campsite by the Porsche curves that all the Danes go to. I remember having a rather interesting afternoon in there when we snuck in their camp to find beer and watch the Grand Prix qualifying......

Yes, it is near the porsche curves, inside the circuit.

One more practical comment (not neccesarrily one with you petrolheads will agree with): By far the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to get there is by train. I went on my way down by train and it was leaving at 7:00 from my doorstep to be there at 14:00 in time for the start from memory. The return was by beer van in a jam of petrol heads and seemed to take forever (good fun but long winded).

Daan

I'm going in 2011 I will either be in the Range Rover but I will try to take the 110, I'm going with about ten mates they have some very sexy cars and I will be the water carrier

I carry the freezer and Genny etc.

I went before in 05 and 08.

I have never taken girlies along as its always been very much a lads weekend.