Defender Transfer Box

gazelle

Hi all,

A quick question about the transfer box in my Dec 01 Defender 90.

I was travelling at speed in the outside lane of the M25 near the Chertsey junction when the transfer box dropped out of gear. :angry: I coasted across the 4 lanes of traffic to the hard shoulder (not much fun! ;) ) where I popped it back into High range gear and took off again. It has been fine ever since.

The question is, can the transfer box be engaged when moving, and at what speed?

It did sound as though there is no syncromesh in the system!

Martin

Hi all,

A quick question about the transfer box in my Dec 01 Defender 90.

I was travelling at speed in the outside lane of the M25 near the Chertsey junction when the transfer box dropped out of gear. :angry: I coasted across the 4 lanes of traffic to the hard shoulder (not much fun! ;) ) where I popped it back into High range gear and took off again. It has been fine ever since.

The question is, can the transfer box be engaged when moving, and at what speed?

It did sound as though there is no syncromesh in the system!

Martin

The transfer box has no syncromesh. If you want to engage high range at speed from transfer neutral, you need to put/keep the main gearbox in the appropriate gear for the speed you are doing AND match the engine revs using the throttle with the road speed before engaging the gear. So if it popped out, you could quickly pop it back in if you get the engine speed right and stay in gear.

Regards, Diff.

well when mine last did this it made a horrific noise and that was at 20-30mph, clutch down and in gear still. if u do ever put it into hi from low or vice versa, keep pressing the lever hard for a couple of seconds after pulling away and it should never pop out. Ive had both my landies do it. both from recently doing a hi to lo/ lo to hi selection change. There are no syncro's in the t-box. I heard through the grapevine somewheres that g-wagons do though? would be lovely to have if towing something heavy! Then u could use low range to get up to 30 and then swap ratios on the fly!

Only when you are moving slowly. I think 10/15 mph may be the limit but i am not certain. You should put the gbox in neutral first as well

Im sure an adult will come along with the exact procedure

main gbox should be kept in a gear as described above.

well when mine last did this it made a horrific noise and that was at 20-30mph, clutch down and in gear still. if u do ever put it into hi from low or vice versa, keep pressing the lever hard for a couple of seconds after pulling away and it should never pop out. Ive had both my landies do it. both from recently doing a hi to lo/ lo to hi selection change. There are no syncro's in the t-box. I heard through the grapevine somewheres that g-wagons do though? would be lovely to have if towing something heavy! Then u could use low range to get up to 30 and then swap ratios on the fly!

you can do a range change [low to high] in a 90/110, get vehicle upto 30mph ish first then dump clutch, from low to neutral, up clutch, blip throttle, down clucht, main box down 1 gear,transfer box into high range, up clutch, accelerate & change mainbox as normal.

you can do a range change [low to high] in a 90/110, get vehicle upto 30mph ish first then dump clutch, from low to neutral, up clutch, blip throttle, down clucht, main box down 1 gear,transfer box into high range, up clutch, accelerate & change mainbox as normal.

almost the LRE way there which is

get vehicle upto 30mph ish first then dump clutch, from low to neutral, up clutch, down clutch, transfer box into high range and then change the main G box to a gear now appropriate to the speed you are travelling, up clutch, accelerate & change mainbox as normal.