Radio installation, problems

Maverik

Ok got to the "nice to have" bits, my radio. Before I did the strip down it worked fine, but now all I get is very faint sound from my speakers.

Its an 86 LR 90 original loom, I've found a +ve and hooked it up to the yellow and red terminals on the radio plug (sony radio) then I wired in the earth.

Then hooked the speakers up... I'm sure I'm missing some info here, but I've google, searched etc and can't faind any help...

Cheers

Mav

A Complete guess, but some head units have a mute wire (sometimes labelled Telephone or TEL Mute) to enable the head unit to be muted by a handsfree kit.

If your sony has this, make sure its not shorting out to ground. It should be insulated up and tucked out the way.

Hi Mav,,,

Electronics is my day job so we will see if I can help.

The yellow wire (from stereo)should be connected directly to battery Pos. This holds the memory for the stereo.

The red wire (from stereo) goes to the accessory wire, so the radio powers up when you turn the ignition key to ACC.

Ok, some stereo's when you directly connect both the yellow and red wire together have a mental breakdown, causing no sound and buttons not working correctly. Usually they like having the memory active before you power up the unit.

There maybe other things connected wrong thats causing you problems. If you can get a good clear pic of your wiring connections I might be able to diagnose what could be wrong.

Regards Phil....

Ok got some pretty pictures. and what I have done so far... I found 2 supplies from an auxilary circuit behind my dash, i have found a bettery posetive and an ignition feed. I was initially using those but then made up some test cables and wired it directly to the battery.

Not knowing radio's I guessed and did the following, hooked the red and yellow together and earthed the black, got some double core wire and fed it to the speakers. I've tried another set of sepakers and a total different radio using the same red/yellow and black wires. Even made up some new wire to make sure it wasn't the stuff I had installed for the speakers.

The speakers are all 4 ohm impedance. I am totally stumped, I must have got some wires crossed somewhere.

How many wires go to the speakers? 2? posetive (wide spade) negaive (narrow spade) - connectors on the speakers. For speaker connectors I was using standard Phono RCA plugs.

Pictures of the radio plug and back of radio

post-20087-019930500 1286095365_thumb.jpg

post-20087-093286000 1286095386_thumb.jpg

Cheers

2 wires to each speaker, one normally has a black tracer colour to note positive/negative wires, in your 2nd photo looks to be a connection diagram sticker on the head unit, just follow that.

or get the exact model details & search Google or Sony website for a owners handbook.

RCA plugs are for line level output to an amplifier, not directly driving speakers!

The amplified speaker outputs are taped up in the bundle with the red insulating tape on it.

Connecting red and yellow together wont bother the unit. Most come with a harness that allows you to do exactly that, although its preferable to have it properly connected to the battery and ignition so it behaves as it should and doesnt drain the battery.

Front speaker outputs are white & white-black for left and grey & grey-black for the right side. the other two pairs are purple (and purple black) for rear right and green/green-black for rear left.

RCA plugs are for line level output to an amplifier, not directly driving speakers!

The amplified speaker outputs are taped up in the bundle with the red insulating tape on it.

Connecting red and yellow together wont bother the unit. Most come with a harness that allows you to do exactly that, although its preferable to have it properly connected to the battery and ignition so it behaves as it should and doesnt drain the battery.

Front speaker outputs are white & white-black for left and grey & grey-black for the right side. the other two pairs are purple (and purple black) for rear right and green/green-black for rear left.

I think you may have just solved my problem.....

2 wires to each speaker, one normally has a black tracer colour to note positive/negative wires, in your 2nd photo looks to be a connection diagram sticker on the head unit, just follow that.

or get the exact model details & search Google or Sony website for a owners handbook.

The sticker doesn't give any info about the main wiring plug, and the user manual doesn't give instructions for actually installing it. just playing with it when its working! :(

Ok it works!!! I'll get there in the end.... thank you. :)