What type of axle oil for my Series 3?

Chris x

Well after rebuilding my axles I need to re-fill the axles with oil.

Now reading back through here I know I need EP-90. But you can get different types.

Im not sure what type tho, apparently you can use the same oil for the gearbox? As I may aswel give that a change aswell.

I have found Smith & Allan EP 80w/90 Gear Oil API GL5 20 ltr for £44 delivered: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370338395554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

is that the right stuff?

I may awell get a load as I have disco axles ready to go on next year and various other Land Rovers within the family.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Perfect! I will get it ordered now!

For my next question....how do you fill the gear box and transfer box back up with oil? From memory, I think I have seen the drain plugs at the bottom! Its just getting the stuff back in thats my problem!

Im guessing you fill the axles back up using the plug on the side? And fill it all the way up? I really am a N00b for all this! :(

Thanks! :P

Once you have the drain plug out, you roll the vehicle onto its roof and refill it. :P

OK, seriously - the boxes, like the axles, have a filler/level plug on the side. So you fill through the hole until it reaches the level of the hole. Lots of people find a 5L garden plant sprayer with lance the best tool for the job (remove the spray tip) - fill with oil, pump up, point through hole & wait. Just remember to keep an eye on it, and release the pressure before storing it.

Oils.gif

Oils2.gif

Oils3.gif

Well after rebuilding my axles I need to re-fill the axles with oil.

Now reading back through here I know I need EP-90. But you can get different types.

Im not sure what type tho, apparently you can use the same oil for the gearbox? As I may aswel give that a change aswell.

I have found Smith & Allan EP 80w/90 Gear Oil API GL5 20 ltr for £44 delivered: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370338395554&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

is that the right stuff?

I may awell get a load as I have disco axles ready to go on next year and various other Land Rovers within the family.

Thanks in advance!

:)

It says GL5, is that make of GL5 spec oil safe with yellow metal components?

The whole GL5 thing is an urban myth, just like how series transmissions explode if you fit a Tdi or how well the diesels run if you pour used chip fat directly into the fuel tank.

I find that 1L bottles with the pull-out neck do fine for filling the axles and transfer box, and with a small amount of spillage, the steering box too. I keep one of those small bottles and top it up with 5L bottles from my local autofactor as it's cheaper in the bigger quantities.

Filling the gear box is a bit of a nuisance, but a cheap way is to get an 18" length of standard garden hose pipe to run from the filler plug to underneath the centre seat, inserting the neck of the 1L bottle into the end of the hose. It's reasonably neat, if a little slow.

I have retrofitted the top-fill cap and transmission tunnel cover grommet from a MoD SIII and fitted a Rocky Mountain transfer box dip stick to the gear box filler so the level can be checked in seconds from above and the oil topped up in a couple of minutes (including getting the oil out of the stowage and putting it away again) from above with no tools and no mess. It's a very useful mod and is well documented on my blog.

Erm, I think you have confused something there. You're putting EP90 (GL5) into an engine? You need to use 10W40 diesel engine oil for a Tdi. If you are referring to using the gear box that was originally fitted to the Tdi's donor vehicle and transplanted into your Series LR, then, as an LT77 or R380, it needs ATF or MTF94.

Erm, I think you have confused something there. You're putting EP90 (GL5) into an engine? You need to use 10W40 diesel engine oil for a Tdi. If you are referring to using the gear box that was originally fitted to the Tdi's donor vehicle and transplanted into your Series LR, then, as an LT77 or R380, it needs ATF or MTF94.

No, its not going anywhere near the engine! :lol:

I was wondering how many litres I would have left after replacing the oil in the axles, gearbox (my old series 3 box), transfer box (same again) and even the steering box like you suggested. Not sure how I would drain that?

The steering box is drained by removing the cover plate under the wheel arch (three bolts) and then loosening the lock nut and withdrawing the plug on the side of the box.

When refitting, the drain plug acts as the adjuster for the box, pushing the rocker shaft further in against the main nut. The rocker shaft has a fork with bevelled inside edges that engage on the taper of the main nut (which is the part that travels up and down the column's worm gear when the shaft is rotated). If the adjuster/plug is loose, the rocker shaft fork will be loose on the main nut and you will have play in the steering. If you over tighten it, you could damage the rocker shaft, main nut or column. Set is so that you just get rid of the play between the steering wheel and steering box drop arm, and remember to tighten the lock nut.

I can't remember the oil capacities, but it's less than 10L to replace the lot 9don't forget the front axle's swivel housings, which are separate from the diff oil.