Air Filter Woes

Hi all,

following last years 200Tdi conversion I think it is about time I finished off the project by re-locating the original TD air filter housing and finally plumbing in the snorkel.

Having had a good scrabble around the engine bay and trial fitting the can in all sorts of weird and wonderful places there isn't an easy answer. The original plan means that I have a OS wing top type snorkel already fitted. I have found one solution but it would mean plumbing the can in back to front with the intake and turbo hoses swapped over - My question is would this work? Having looked at the filter I don't think it is likely to collapse or anything silly - would the PCV system clog the filter in this configuration?

Thoughts welcome as always.

D.

the airflow through the filter element would be reversed & it might not filter the incoming air correctly. filters are made so the clean air is drawn from the inner surface then into the engine air intake/turbo.

if there's space retain the TD filter housing as it was originally fitted.

hmmmm.....

only problem being that in the spirit of thriftyness (read 'being a complete tight arse') the first temporary mounting of the filter can used whatever TD/Tdi/Dyson hoses where lying around and required some (read 'all')of the original mounting brackets to be modified (read 'removed'). :ph34r:

I'd like to mount it on the inner wing much in the way the 200tdi cabnfits but my washer bottle is in the way!

D.

I went down the route of the steve parker kit..ie mounting the air filter where the old TD washer bottle was. Also it messes with the oil dipstick though, which needs to be changed over for a different type, or bent towards the front out of the way...and the kit was very expensive!!!

That required the removal of the washer bottle...so i went down the route of a Td5 washer bottle, mounted under the wing at the front.

Took a while to find one and fit it though. I had to buy a new loom and refit the correct plugs (econoseal) i think i have a couple left over if you go this route.

If you still have the TD engine, you'll be pleased to know the dipstick & tube is the same as fitted to the Defender spec 200tdi, so you should be able to re-use the TD parts to get the dipstik clear of any proposed air filter or washer bottle.

Very neat set-up.

I'm looking for a 90' bend similar to the one you have used to feed the turbo. This should enable me to 'invert' my can much like you have done - That should allow me to run a hose across behind the rad for the snorkel pick up.

D.