200tdi conversion help

hi im having trouble seperating my engine from my gear box (19j engine Lt77 gear box)

so far i have undone all the nuts i can find on the flywheel housing (gear lever tunnel removed)

all fuel lines oil cooler pipes and exhaust all removed

starter motor removed

and alot of lifting lowering shacking rocking and swearing still no joy so if any one can shed some light on my situation that would be great as i wanna get the 200 in by the weekend.

hi there i did mine a couple of weeks ago and there was no issue of getting it out i found getting the new engine back to the gearbox a bit more tricky but easy enough. are you leaving the gearbox in the truck? if yes basically engine mount (2) radiator hose, fuel line, battery connection on starter motor, earth from engine to chassis, turbo air intake, exhaust down pipe there's a 17mm bolt which hold it to the engine as well and bellhousing bolt make sure you get all out there are some which are well hidden. i've remove the floor and gearbox tunnel makes life so much easier only takes an extra 30mins to remove them. a bit of lifting it should pop out no need of rocking etc. if you are stuck don't hesitate to ask

thierry

hi there i did mine a couple of weeks ago and there was no issue of getting it out i found getting the new engine back to the gearbox a bit more tricky but easy enough. are you leaving the gearbox in the truck? if yes basically engine mount (2) radiator hose, fuel line, battery connection on starter motor, earth from engine to chassis, turbo air intake, exhaust down pipe there's a 17mm bolt which hold it to the engine as well and bellhousing bolt make sure you get all out there are some which are well hidden. i've remove the floor and gearbox tunnel makes life so much easier only takes an extra 30mins to remove them. a bit of lifting it should pop out no need of rocking etc. if you are stuck don't hesitate to ask

thierry

ive taken engine mounts off,gearbox tunnel,all the exhaust as making a side exit,and ive taken off all the water pipes and fuel lines and wiring

but the engine and gearbox seem to be held together by something rather than being a pain are there any more bolts/nuts im missing

all the ones ive taken off are just nuts and washers you mention a bolt where abouts is that cheers again steve.

ive taken engine mounts off,gearbox tunnel,all the exhaust as making a side exit,and ive taken off all the water pipes and fuel lines and wiring

but the engine and gearbox seem to be held together by something rather than being a pain are there any more bolts/nuts im missing

all the ones ive taken off are just nuts and washers you mention a bolt where abouts is that cheers again steve.

sorry yes leaving gear box in truck

try to either view some pics of a seperated engine and gear box or check a haynes manual or similar as there are som difficult to find bolts at the top otherwise you may have a vacume between the engine and box causing them to stick together so maybe a carefull bit of prizing and hard shaking may help due to both parts being oily bits a cant see that they would have corroded together so i recone you must have missed a bolt

try to either view some pics of a seperated engine and gear box or check a haynes manual or similar as there are som difficult to find bolts at the top otherwise you may have a vacume between the engine and box causing them to stick together so maybe a carefull bit of prizing and hard shaking may help due to both parts being oily bits a cant see that they would have corroded together so i recone you must have missed a bolt

i think i might have cause when i was moving the engine about the box was moving with it i just got to find it

must just be well stuck/corroded together, you could remove the stater motor & slide in a decent bit of wood & give it a good thump to split engine from gearbox, just run 2 nuts back on a few threads so both doesn't jump apart & catch you out.

if you have remove the down pipe then you probably remove that 17mm bolt which attach the downpipe to the engine. i say if when moving the engine the gearbox move as well you could have missed a bolt on the bellhousing as western mention there are one or two at the top just below the fuse box which are well hidden. try to level it apart but be very careful. this should come apart fairly easily. try to lift the engine until it's not resting on the chassis but not too high then get some help push the truck backwards while trying too prevent the engine to move backwards as well.

not sure if anyone has covered it, but, put it in gear and shake f**k out of it whilst pulling.

not very technical, but worked for me twice.

i didnt think of that i will give all these a try tonight

when i get in and let you all know how it goes cheers again

I struggled like hell to get mine apart. Cursed a lot, went inside to make a brew, came back outside & saw the problem straight away:

My drive isn't level, therefore the engine crane was slightly on the tiddle, meaning it wasn't providing a straight and level lift. Whilst this ordinarily isn't a problem, because I still had studs sticking out of the engine into the gearbox, the engine was being lifted and in effect rotated (if you get what I mean), meaning the studs were binding up against the stud holes in the box!

Moved truck and crane onto a flatter part of the drive and it seperated straight away (after a good clout with LR tool no1)

HTH

Matt

Had the same problem when I did mine.

In the end I got a mate to force a prybar inbetween the gearbox and engine,whilst I jiggled the engine .

It was just a very tight fit in the end.

hi guys thanks for all the info and help i have the engine out after me and my bro did alot of pulling and pushing then it came apart job done now to get the 200 in ill be in touch if help needed again ^_^:D