defender 200 tdi engine number?

del

should start with 11L*****A in the yellow outlined area, might need a scrub with scothbrite to read it.

write the 'new' serial number in the correct part of the V5 & engine capacity 2495cc & fuel type for a diesel is 'heavy oil' not diesel, then send to DVLA & inform your insurance company, they may want a engineers inspection of the installation, just to confirm in writing the install is safe & roadworthy.

post-20-037097700 1289152663_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

The I know this is an old topic - but I hope someone can help me. I have an 93 200TDI. Everything points to this being a standard engine which should be and 11L type engine given the year and model. However, the engine number on the block (usual place below injector #1) looks nothing like a standard engine number. It is RCTDRB1393.

I checked the log book and that is the engine number on there too. It only really came to may attention because I need to replace my turbo and found I have the earlier ETC8751 turbo (which belong with a J serial number engine) rather than ETC7461 which is what the the turbo company seemed to expect.

Has anyone seen a engine number like mine - it seems likely that someone has replaced the engine block at least - but what it is and where it came from I now have no idea, am a little confused and worried.

Having said all that it ran just fine until the turbo seals gave out :(

Cheers, turbo arrived at the ETC8751 is the correct one (5 bolts to downpipe as opposed to 3 for the 7461). It is just strange that nearly everything in the wagon is original and correct for a 200TDI (11L) engine - most of parts are still original and quite a few have not been changed since new. But the engine block itself (and number) are clearly not kosher. Well it works - or at least it did until the seals on the turbo gave out, so I think I will just quit worrying about it - till I come to sell it at least.

as the number & V5 match, there's nothing to worry about, I still think it's a reconditioned engine [or maybe just the block] or it came from a stolen vehicle & Police/DVLA have allocated it a unique serial number.

you could write to DVLA & get the vehicles registration history for a fee.