Defender 110 calipers on to 90 - any problems ?

I'd look at fitting the larger 110/late 90 master cylinder if your 90 currently has 41mm pistons on the front.

Good point, I've got a Disco master cylinder/servo set up in the shed, might have a go at fitting that when I get time, just want some brakes for now as the 90 ones are carp. It passed the MOT just before I bought it but I'm not happy with the brakes especially after driving the Disco for so long.

Just thought that the bigger calipers and pistons would stop her better. :)

defender brakes in top order are just as good as Disco/RR brakes, probably need a good service/clean & new pads.

noted,

Probably pistons a bit stiff or some of them siezed then , I'll have a look when I change the wheels over, can't be doin with bad brakes :rolleyes:

Question still stands though as I have some 110 calipers in good order which would save me some money if I could just swap em as the have single line piping same as 90

When I did this, someone said there was a volume change due to bigger pistons - which is true, 41mm to 46mm is it... in which case you might want to get the corrisponding master cyclinder... mine was ok as it had already got the newer "common" vacume pump and master cylinder. I belive older 90' and 110's had different master cyclinders.

Depends on the age of your 90, is it before of after VIN HA701010?

If before then the 90's calipers are different, if after then they're identical.

I don't know if the actual fitment is the same, I imagine it is as I don't recall the swivel housings or hub spacings changing, so you should be able to put the later calipers on anyway. Use the later master cylinder (which is the same for 90/110), part number STC441.

90's have smaller rear discs and calipers than 110s (110s use the same size discs all around but twin-pot calipers on the rear), which is where the difference is post-rationalisation.

Depends on the age of your 90, is it before of after VIN HA701010?

If before then the 90's calipers are different, if after then they're identical.

I don't know if the actual fitment is the same, I imagine it is as I don't recall the swivel housings or hub spacings changing, so you should be able to put the later calipers on anyway. Use the later master cylinder (which is the same for 90/110), part number STC441.

90's have smaller rear discs and calipers than 110s (110s use the same size discs all around but twin-pot calipers on the rear), which is where the difference is post-rationalisation.

My VIN starts with SALLDVAB*FA****** and it's a 1990 model.

So it will have the older front calipers, should be able to swap them over but vehicles before HA701010 use a different master cylinder (NRC9529), so I'd change to the later master cylinder (STC441) which has been used from that VIN HA701010 ('91-ish) up until today, for both drums on rear or discs.

Thanks for that, I'll stick the Disco servo and master cylinder on as well, shouldn't be too hard to modify. :)

Disco MC isnt a good idea, because the Disco has 41mm pistons, not 46mm...

Unless you can verify the piston inside the MC is the correct diameter, then i'd be using the proper defender item!

Defender brakes should in theory be better than disco ones, because the defender has larger caliper pistons (giving more braking force for less pedal input), and in the case of 90's anyway, are a decent bit lighter than a disco!

Disco MC isnt a good idea, because the Disco has 41mm pistons, not 46mm...

Unless you can verify the piston inside the MC is the correct diameter, then i'd be using the proper defender item!

Defender brakes should in theory be better than disco ones, because the defender has larger caliper pistons (giving more braking force for less pedal input), and in the case of 90's anyway, are a decent bit lighter than a disco!

That's interesting,

I would have thought that Land Rover would have standardised caliper pistons after about '93 and used the same in all models.

The 92 Disco that I scrapped had vented discs but the '93 Disco I had at the time had solid discs, I would imagine that the pistons were the same though.

I know the pistons from a 93 110 CSW are larger than my '84 110 caliper pistons as they went bigger early in the 1990's

Not as easy as I thought all this brake bodging :rolleyes:

Yes. There was another change to 110s in the late 80s where they got 46mm pistons.

I would fit the proper Defender system all-in, master cylinder etc. Make sure you buy a decent branded one (TRW/Lucas) and not a Britpart cheapo jobbie. They're not mega expensive, I got one for £20 a while back on eBay but I think they're about £50-60 now.

Alternatively you could always steal the master cylinder & servo from the 110 you're taking the calipers off, if you're breaking it.

Yes. There was another change to 110s in the late 80s where they got 46mm pistons.

I would fit the proper Defender system all-in, master cylinder etc. Make sure you buy a decent branded one (TRW/Lucas) and not a Britpart cheapo jobbie. They're not mega expensive, I got one for £20 a while back on eBay but I think they're about £50-60 now.

Alternatively you could always steal the master cylinder & servo from the 110 you're taking the calipers off, if you're breaking it.

Brakes were absolute carp on the 110 and I suspected the servo but may be worth checking. :)