300Tdi won't rev

Tetsu0san

Hi all

I have an interesting problem which started yesterday. Driving home I was suddenly aware that my 300Tdi was loosing power. The engine would idle reasonably OK, and if left to idle for a little while I could rev the engine, but the revs would soon die and it would only do about 1500rpm at most. Managed to limp home at under 10mph.

I have checked the lift pump which seems OK, emptied out the sedimenter at the rear, changed the fuel filter and all looks OK. It's deffinatly a fuel starvation issue which seems to be at the main injector pump although I am not going to rule out the lift pump. When left to idle for a little while the injector pump seems to start to tick but the engine will keep running.

Someone mentioned that the stop solenoid in the injector pump is controlled by a relay which could cause these issues. Is this true? When I pull the cable off the stop solenoid the engine will stop, but if the solenoid is not being held by the relay then perhaps this could be starving the engine of fuel and may explain the ticking shound.

I am going to power the stop solenoid with a cable straight off the battery and see what that does and I will look into the relay issue (if there is one).

Any ideas?

Cheers

I had a friend running on bio diesel and at one point he lost lots of power and his injection pump was ticking. he changed his fuel filter and all was tickaty boo. You have allready done this obviously but it sounds like something else, tank pick up/ pipes or something is blocked. To check the lift pump is working properly you can remove the power wire to the injection pump, disconnect the fuel pipe from the fuel filter and crank the engine over. Cover the pipe with a towel or something. If its working there should be lots of fuel sprayed everywhere. This could indicate if the tank pick up or pipes are blocked

Jad

Already tried what you said and sure enough there seems to be plenty of fuel spraying everywhere. However, when the engine is idling and the pump starts ticking, if I take the bleed screw out of the filter housing it takes a while for fuel to come out which makes me wonder if there is a lift pump issue. I am going to replace the lift pump first but it was the comment about the relay which threw me.

Also, am I right in saying that the pump will tick if it's low on fuel?

I am not sure if the lift pump will tick but the injection pump does tick if its trying to suck fuel but cant due to a blockage.

Make sure you use a genuine lift pump. When you change the fuel filter and lift pump did you have any problems bleeding the system?

If it takes a while for fuel to come out the bleed screw it could be the lift pump as, AFAIK it should be supplying more than enough fuel for the injection pump at any revs. But this also makes it sound like air could be getting in the system.

Jad

OK, many thanks.

I am going to check the pipework from the back and see if there is anything obvious that could be letting air in, and I am going to change the lift pump in case that is buggered.

I am hoping it's not the injector pump, but if all the other stuff doesn't fix it then it might be.

Dont worry reckless engineer i wasn't thinking. you will be right it should be the lift pump or a blockage somewhere. but if my some miracle it is a blockage in the injection pump then i would love to see a video uploaded of you eating your boot.....

I take it from your reply that you may think that it is not going to be the injector pump? :D

Seriously though, your comment is actually well recieved because the last thing I really wanted was to find that the injector pump is at fault.

It seems that based on other comments, it's probably a fuel blockage or a lift pump which is a little easier to fix than an injector pump.

my 300tdi did this but had lots of black smoke turned out to be egr valve stuck open

so it had about 50% exhaust gases going into inlet manifold not enough oxygen so wouldn't rev worth a look if you have one on yours i used the lid of a tin of grease to make a temporary blockage between pipe and valve done the job and got me home till i done it properly

The original cat is still on, but wouldn't that cause it to not rev at all? It was on my list of things to do, but now it has moved a little futher down the list..

Cheers though

Going to have a good look at it all tomorrow and hopefully change the lift pump.

With regards to the sediment trap at the back, does the bowl just unscrew?

With regards to the sediment trap at the back, does the bowl just unscrew?

The sedimenter has a plastic thumb screw in the bottom to drain, but they are usually seized soild :angry: , so you will probably need to undo the bolt at the top that holds the two haves of the sedimenter together and split it to clean out.

HTH

Tony

My issue seems to revolve around fuel, or rather fuel starvation as opposed to air intake.

When the engine is at idle, the injector pump starts to tick and if I remove the top pipe on the fuel filter (the one that goes to the injector pump) there is little or no fuel in the filter. I would expect to see it spraying all over the place, but it doesn't, which leads me to think that there is either a blockage or a lift pump issue.

Today I took out the pickup unit from the tank and apart from a little corrosion around the nuts on the pipes it all looked good. I blew through the pipes in the unit and they were clear. Next step is the sediment bowl, then check all the pipes to see if there are any obvious leaks or damage.

I was advised by James French Land Rover not to change the lif pump just yet in case there is a blockage and this could damage the new lift pump. Seems to make sense...