defender biggest wheels

If we want to count rivets then I'd point out that the SAS pink panthers had 900 x tyres which measured up as 35". Camel trophy was very different to what we get up to these days and was a marketing gimmick to sell standard cars that you could walk into a shop and buy. The MOD have their own reasons for sticking with standard truck size tyres. If you ever went to an event such as Transilvania trophy or Croatia trophy with 7.50 x 16 G90's you'd soon realise you wasted an awful lot of money on your entry fee if you'd intended to be competitive, same goes for most uk challenge events. And then there is the whole personal choice thing, some people just like the look of a Fender with big tyres! Steve

Pink Panthers and the later DPVs are for desert use, ie on sand. Like I said, big tyres are useful there, but not in mud.

Big tyres are useful however when it comes to approach angles and ground clearance. Both of which make a big difference in the winch challenge and "extreme" off-road world - going through a section on 7.50s when someone's just cut through it with 37" boggers would be unpleasant...

I however think big tyres look ridiculous and far prefer to stick to my 7.50s or maybe 235s at a push. But then I'm only using the vehicle on the road and for light off-roading such as green laning. So at the end of the day it's down to the vehicle's usage.

• Like 1

I can see the point for winch challenges for just the reason you say, James, but for most off-roading use, they limit the steering lock and axle articulation so much that they are a major hindrance. Portal axles would be more beneficial than big tyres because they have few negative effects - no floating on top of the mud, no steering or articulation issues, no gearing problems, but the diffs are lifted out of the mud in the example you gave and breakover, approach and departure angles are all massively increased. OK, they're expensive, but most people doing winch challenges seem to have the means to do such a conversion.

• 7 years later...
On 2/24/2011 at 3:42 AM, landy V8 said:

i've got 35"s on my 110 with 15x10's.no rubbing or problems whatsoever.

post-16787-0-63123100-1298533468_thumb.jpg

Hey mate, could you tell me what brand and size are the wheel arches on your defender wagon in this pic? 
thanks 

On 1/10/2013 at 11:57 AM, Snagger said:

Portal axles would be more beneficial than big tyres because they have few negative effects - no floating on top of the mud, no steering or articulation issues, no gearing problems, but the diffs are lifted out of the mud in the example you gave and breakover, approach and departure angles are all massively increased.

Yeah but portals and small tyres don't half look silly... :SVAgoaway:

2007-05-18-10h46m39.jpg

Acceleration is quite something though :hysterical:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1