One for someone cleverer than me!!!

Disco-Ron

Right, i am toying with the idea of fitting an air tank under the rear of my 90, in the space in front of the rear xmember... the question is this, if i was to do such a thing, what size tank would i need to fit in order to say re-inflate a 33 inch tyre from flat to 35psi.... lets say a couple of times...... i wouldn;t have an onboard compressor, but would aim to refill when needed from the one at home...... its just a thought at the moment.....

Cheers.

Right, i am toying with the idea of fitting an air tank under the rear of my 90, in the space in front of the rear xmember... the question is this, if i was to do such a thing, what size tank would i need to fit in order to say re-inflate a 33 inch tyre from flat to 35psi.... lets say a couple of times...... i wouldn;t have an onboard compressor, but would aim to refill when needed from the one at home...... its just a thought at the moment.....

Cheers.

I can say that a 90L tank @ 150psi will do 2 35" tyres from flat to 30 PSI. It slows a lot at the end as it is down to about 60 PSI by the time it is finished.

DR, If you haven't done so already, consider installing a scuba tank. You won't be able to refill this at home, so price up alternative refill stations (diving equipment shops), but the much greater fill pressure will give much greater air volume, although I can't give exact numbers off the top of my head.

The diving supplier shops you find may well have 'second-hand but good' tanks and regulators available from people who have traded up.

HTH

^^^^ Yes, a diving tank will do what you need.

You'll never get a tank big enough underneath for a lowly 150 PSI to do the job. Why don't you want to have a compressor?

I started off with an air suspension tank from a RRC, can't be much more than 7 or 8 litres, and is certainly compact enough to mount under. I used a pretty small T-Max electric compressor to keep it topped up. Having a reservoir made individual tyre inflating a lot faster than without.

Now I have an air-con compressor feeding the tank :)

Ta for the ideas......... i just have the empty space in the rear of the chassis, and don;t really wanna carry any more gear around, hence not wanting to carry a compressor, however, i think there might be room in my battery box,....... is there a way of mounting an outlet so that it would come through the seatbox somehow...???

There are loads of options. There is nothing to say the tank has to be near the pump, and nothing to say the tank has to be near the outlet.

I would think that a smaller tank with a pump would be a better solution than a huge tank that can leak, run out etc.

Merv.

I have a PCL fitting just inside the rear door of the 90. Connected with 10mm nylon pipe to the tank. Like Merv says, they can go whereever you wish :)

If you have a tank though, make sure you position it so it can be drained of accumulated water every now and then. Most tanks have a drain valve, just needs to face downward.

I realise that this was probably not what previous posters had in mind, but just in case it's not clear to the uninitiated, mounting a diving cylinder permanently on the vehicle is not a good idea. 200+ bar diving cylinders are a whole different ball game from a 10 - 15 bar tanks filled from a workshop or onboard air compressor.

Apart from the obvious traffic accident related issues, diving cylinders are specified on the assumption that they will be inspected and pressure tested regularly. I've heard of diving shops refusing to fill cylinders which had the exterior paintwork scratched from cave diving and while this is an over-reaction, it is a recognition of the fact that diving cylinders are rated on the basis that corrosion only occurs on the inside.

I'm about half way though installing an onboard air system based on a Denso 300tdi aircon compressor. By far the trickest part has been mounting the receiver - I've gone for a two litre one mounted vertically under the bonnet. However, if one simply wants to use the air as a tyre inflator then I don't think you'd need a receiver at all so long as you've got a decent water separator downstream of the compressor, and if you do without a receiver then fitting an onboard air system based on a standard LandRover aircon compressor takes up very little useful space and is a relatively simply exercise in plumbing.

Nick.

is there a way of mounting an outlet so that it would come through the seatbox somehow...???

Drill a hole. :ph34r:

I'd have thought a half decent compressor (T-Max twin or similar) would be a more useful thing to carry than a ruddy great air tank of finite capacity. You could always put the fuel tank in the back and free up the space under the seat.