battery light comes on

hi all ive just finnished wiring the 90 put all the wires on put both earths on engine block connected the battery and the battery light came on with out the key in the ignition, put the key in tuned ignition on then battery light goes out oil light comes on which is normal but the battery light use to come on with it.

what have i done wrong please help as need to get back on the road

are you sure the charge warning wire is on the correct terminal on the alternator.

why 2 earths on engine block ?

battery neg to gearbox transferbox jpint

engine earth from PAS/Alt bracket to chassis part of left engine mounting, should be a bolt hole in the rear vertical face of the mounting for the earth strap/cable bolt with a nut on otherside.

are you sure the charge warning wire is on the correct terminal on the alternator.

why 2 earths on engine block ?

battery neg to gearbox transferbox jpint

engine earth from PAS/Alt bracket to chassis part of left engine mounting, should be a bolt hole in the rear vertical face of the mounting for the earth strap/cable bolt with a nut on otherside.

which wire is that is that the thin wire and the earth strap from chassis and one from starter motor

the thin cable goes from PAS/Alt bracket to chassis, my 110 is a ex-TD, it doesn't have a earth cable from starter motor to chassis. never had any problems, the 3 pics are my earth cables, 1st is the battery earth to gearbox joint, other 2 are each end of the engine earth cable as described above.[which has recently been replaced by a much thicker cable]

post-20-074761200 1291313675_thumb.jpg

post-20-032984500 1291313689_thumb.jpg

post-20-086048100 1291313698_thumb.jpg

the thin cable goes from PAS/Alt bracket to chassis, my 110 is a ex-TD, it doesn't have a earth cable from starter motor to chassis. never had any problems, the 3 pics are my earth cables, 1st is the battery earth to gearbox joint, other 2 are each end of the engine earth cable as described above.[which has recently been replaced by a much thicker cable]

yep earth in 3rd pic and the fisrt pic to so should take starer one off then

oviously one end on one of the stater motor attachment bolts, where is the other end connected to ?

nope my earth starp on the starter motor is on the front of the starter and other end on the block

should it not be there, does the stater need to be earthed

i dont wont to cause a fire or keep changing fuses i need to get this right

I had exactly the same problem sorting out the wiring on a mates 200di 109. Had to take the alternator out to re-site it and on putting it back on I connected the main feed to the W terminal by mistake, fumbling around in the engine bay it looked the same as the main feed terminal!

nope my earth starp on the starter motor is on the front of the starter and other end on the block

should it not be there, does the stater need to be earthed

i dont wont to cause a fire or keep changing fuses i need to get this right

that might be your problem, try resiting the starter earth lead so it's as I've mentioned above,

starter body is already earthed by it's mounting bolts to the engine, a extra earth leads is a bit of overkill.

My earth's on my 200 TDI block go like this-I have an earth from my Chassis to the block-small M8 bolt fit's into the side of the block-then I have another earth to the rear of the starter motor from the same M8 bolt-this is fitted to the rear of the starter motor on an earth stud that is part of the starter motor casing, The other earth's I have are: from the battery terminal to the chassis, from the battery terminal to the rear of the gearbox

These are the only one's I have on my 90 and it works perfectly

starter body is already earthed by it's mounting bolts to the engine, a extra earth leads is a bit of overkill.

Ralph I have to disagree with you-sorry about this old chap, but when I rebuilt my 90, I didn't replace the earth onto the rear of the starter motor-even though I did replace the one to the block from the chassis and that caused me all sorts of starting problems, from things like continually not starting-flattening the battery, slow sluggish starting to the point I'd have to use jump leads and even putting my battery on charge for an hour before I used the 90, And lol when playing on Salisbury plain one night there was what was described to me as blue sparks coming from my exhaust-looked like it was being welded as I was going along- I then replaced the earth strap after having the mick taken out of me by two of my friends for making a bit of a basic mistake for not putting an earth on it

It now starts on the button, I leave my truck at a mates house whilst I'm away with work for up to 3 months +, and he runs it for me-he tells me it always starts first time

so i have my earth for the starter in the wrong place and need to check the alternator to make sure they are on the right terminals

so i take it that when put on the right terminals the battery light should go out with out the key in then when ignition on the battery light should come up with oil light as normal then both go out when started

Ralph I have to disagree with you-sorry about this old chap, but when I rebuilt my 90, I didn't replace the earth onto the rear of the starter motor-even though I did replace the one to the block from the chassis and that caused me all sorts of starting problems, from things like continually not starting-flattening the battery, slow sluggish starting to the point I'd have to use jump leads and even putting my battery on charge for an hour before I used the 90, And lol when playing on Salisbury plain one night there was what was described to me as blue sparks coming from my exhaust-looked like it was being welded as I was going along- I then replaced the earth strap after having the mick taken out of me by two of my friends for making a bit of a basic mistake for not putting an earth on it

It now starts on the button, I leave my truck at a mates house whilst I'm away with work for up to 3 months +, and he runs it for me-he tells me it always starts first time

I'm just stating what my ex-TD engined now a 200tdi defender engine 110 is fitted with, it's been like that from new & never given me any earth/battery flattening/starting problems in the 16 years I've owned it.

Discovery must be earth wired differently.

so i have my earth for the starter in the wrond place and need to check the alternator to make sure they are on the right terminals

so i take it that when put on the right terminals the battery light should go out with out the key in then when ignition on the battery light should come up with oil light as normal then both go out when started

if your battery/charge red light stays on with NO keys & engine/ignition is OFF, the diode pack in the alternator is duff/dead/deceased/given up the will to live, it'll need to be replaced.

on normal start you should see these lights

amber glowplug [if timer system is fitted]

red oil pressure light

red battery/chagre light

red handbrake on light [if fitted]

if your battery/charge red light stays on with NO keys & engine/ignition is OFF, the diode pack in the alternator is duff/dead/deceased/given up the will to live, it'll need to be replaced.

on normal start you should see these lights

amber glowplug [if timer system is fitted]

red oil pressure light

red battery/chagre light

red handbrake on light [if fitted]

no hand brake light fitted and amber light is on as normal and oil light on as normal will check battery light tomarrow but looking at a new, recon alternator

or just get your existing alternator fitted with new brushes/rectifier/diode pack.

and thats what i have just done and battery light is no longer on great news cheers guys for your help just one more thing the eatrh on the starter needs to be moved or removed

and thats what i have just done and battery light is no longer on great news cheers guys for your help just one more thing the eatrh on the starter needs to be moved or removed

Hello 90MAD.

I take it this is meant as a question? It's difficult to know without the punctuation but I'm guessing that's the case.

Leave the earth strap where it is, it won't hurt and may even help.

HTH

Mark.