Powering a winch

Hi all

Going to fit a winch to the 90 it will be used for occasional self recovery on green lanes

I am not great with electrics so my plan was to replace my single starting battery with a big odessey one and a higher output alternator

Will this be good enough to run the winch and start the engine or do I really need to go down the dual battery split charge route ???

Many thanks Chris

For occasional self recovery use, I would have thought that would be fine. As long as the battery is a reasonably chunky one. Don't think it's necessary to have a specific Oddessey (sp?) one, just a nice big standard battery from the motor factors/auto electrics place.

It's certainly what I'm planning on doing anyway, I do have a split charge but that was for running a leisure battery which I have since swapped out with a second normal battery...which is currently serving no use! So I will be removing it and the split charge (plans for that in another vehicle) and then I'll have more space in the battery box for an aux. fusebox and maybe some jump leads :)

your current battery if it's a decent CCA size 720 or higher will most likely be fine for occasional use, I changed to 2 x Oddesey PC1700's & a 100amp Aternator only because on my vehicle is used as a motorsport recovery unit, I needed ample battery power to run the vehicle, radio, beacons & winch while working at a incident,

oddessey batts are dry cell AGM type, the biggest wet battery [normal type] that will fit your battery box would be sufficient for self recovery/occasional use.

have a look at Tayna batteries & X-eng's websites, my oddessey's came from knight batteries.

Thanks for the advice guys didn't want to go down the split charge dual battery route and the hassle of getting 2 batt in the seat box !!! and even better if my current alternator is up to the job !!

The winch will only get used a few times a year At most

By the way when i choose a new battery for starting and winch power say optima for argument sake

Would you choose a deep cycle yellow one or a red starting one ??

Cheers Chris

Correct.

But, unforeseen events can happen. Something on the vehicle may break, you may make an error and slip into a ditch etc.

You're right in that if you can foresee the need for a winch then the lane could probably do with a rest, but in the case of solo laning a winch would be handy if something were to happen to impede further progress.

To be fair I've done a lane near me that is perfectly good to drive and due to poor driving I slipped into a ditch and got stuck. A winch would have come in handy.

I'm not disagreeing with your post Disco-Ron, lanes that require the use of a winch to get from one end to the other should be left alone. However, sometimes accidents happen and a winch is needed. After all, they are a recovery tool. As I said to the missus earlier, "I'm looking at spending a fair bit of money on a winch but I plan on never using it!" :)

For this sort of use, your normal alternator will be fine, and you don't want a deep cycle battery, you want a decent normal battery. If you current one is in good health, it'll be fine, if it's not, fitting a winch is probably a good time to change it.

A red optima, or Numax will be well up to the job.

Hi

It was recommened I put a 663 battery in to my 110 after fitting a winch. I have found this battery size more than adequate and I have now moved it into my Disco. :) Always keep the engine running when winching. ;)If you already have a battery keep it for a backup starter. Don't offroad alone.