TD5 110 Utility Station Wagon. How to get there...

Folks,

I'm considering getting a 110 Utility Station Wagon and am pondering either buying one and giving it a galvanised chassis and bulkhead, or getting hold of any old 110 V8/TDI Station Wagon shed with a V5 and rebuilding that as a TD5 Utility Station Wagon with the same galv bling.

Ignoring man hours which would you say is the most cost effective approach?

As a very brief overview, I would say buying an older one and rebuilding it will probably cost as much if not more than a 'proper' Td5 vehicle, but it will be in better condition and last longer. If you go to the extent of replacing the chassis and bulkhead then you may as well go the full hog with an older vehicle.

My 110 has a similar plan ahead of it, I will be keeping the 200Tdi engine, gearboxes and axles but it's going to be getting a Td5 bulkhead, dashboard, and interior. If the 200Tdi expires then it will likely get a Td5.

The problem is how far to go. Td5 doors cost about £250 each second hand from a breakers yard, due to the massive demand for them. I'm going to re-build my 1993 front doors with new skins and fit all the bits that Td5 ones can come with (e/windows, c/locking etc.).

If I was you I would buy an old one and rebuild it, You will then have a Defender that will last for years longer than a TD5 and in the process you will know ever part of it which is always a good idea.

At the end of the day you need to be up for all the hard work or you will just waste your time and money.

The better condition the old one is in the less it will cost to rebuild.

Frax ;)

Go for the older vehicle, you've got less to loose when you scrap the chassis. As you have already said the end product will be so much better. You can then get the chassis for the engine of choice.

If I did a rebuild again I would definitely go that route again

Excuse my Defender ignorance, but how much chopping and changing would need to be done to that chassis in order to mount the TD5 engine, fuel tank etc?

not much at all.if the existing mounts are not suitable then cut them off and weld on Td5 mounts in there place.as for the tank i'm unsure but it wouldn't take much surely.

Go for a pre defender 110 csw , the body panels are thicker, and rebuild on a galve chassis made for td5 , solves the fuel tank and eng mount probs, and it makes more sense to rebuild with a low starting point as landrovers are more by condition rather than year of build. If you are thinking of putting all the new electrickery items in that will make it a different matter completely as that will considerably elevate the cost. JMHO