Opps

was out laning in Hertfordshire area today with a group of friends from Norfolk and we all attempted the 3/4 or a mile long ford, long story cut short, i ended up taking on a fair bit of water, engine didn't stop which was a surprise, pulled filter out, cleaner air box, drained fuel filter just in case, checked everything over, started up # 4 cylinder down, smoking like a trooper, pulled the injector, looks all good, no use of oil, nor milky oil, not breathing heavy, no nasty knocks, checked some injector cleaner in there thinking it was the injector not spraying properly for it to fire up, drove 70 miles home, smoke disappears when revs are high, #1 #2 #3 are all fine, firing as should be, #4 not at all, could I have bent a push rod on #4 hence why its not firing or could it be a injector issue.

thank you

tom

must of been, we where following the total off road road book, starts of shallow and then there are a couple of really deep bits, then get to the end and its like shingle and you have to drive up he side of the bank to get on the road again, lots of fly tipping there tho :(

was out laning in Hertfordshire area today with a group of friends from Norfolk and we all attempted the 3/4 or a mile long ford, long story cut short, i ended up taking on a fair bit of water, engine didn't stop which was a surprise, pulled filter out, cleaner air box, drained fuel filter just in case, checked everything over, started up # 4 cylinder down, smoking like a trooper, pulled the injector, looks all good, no use of oil, nor milky oil, not breathing heavy, no nasty knocks, checked some injector cleaner in there thinking it was the injector not spraying properly for it to fire up, drove 70 miles home, smoke disappears when revs are high, #1 #2 #3 are all fine, firing as should be, #4 not at all, could I have bent a push rod on #4 hence why its not firing or could it be a injector issue.

thank you

tom

Sadly, it is highly likely that you have bent the con rod attached to no.4 piston. At slower engine speeds there isn't enough compression to fire the fuel properly in no.4, hence the smoke. It probably runs better when the revs are high, because the turbo is on boost and the piston speeds are higher, making combustion of the diesel in that cylinder more likely.

If it has bent a con rod, the engine will need stripping or replacing.

Regards, Diff.

diff yes you describe it exactly how it runs, surely tho i would hear knocking or it wouldn't run at all,plus surely tho on a diesel if it sucked water in and hydroliced it it would of stopped the engine dead as water does not compress.

Tom, in a way you're right, however, if a con rod has bent, then the rod bent rather than the engine stop dead, if the engine was running very slowly, then if water is sucked in it may well simply stop dead, however, if it was revving at-all then a bent rod is more likely to occur........

well engine is naffed, so i have just swapped my truck cab for a low mileage disco 200tdi engine.

will use my rad, turbo, exhaust, alternator,clutch and fly wheel, put a timing belt kit on it, use my water pump and thermostat housing. is there anything i should know about dong all of that that