Does a twin motor winch need two Allbrights?

Rightfoot

Last year we managed to separately kill two Allbrights on our Gigglepin winch - in fact we did the final round of the Howlin Wolf only using one motor on the winch :ph34r:

There are three options we can think of:

1) an indicator light so that when a solenoid / motor is working it lights up

2) use a single Allbright to power both motors

3) use twin Allbrights but also join the terminals on the motors so if one fails we still power both motors

Option 1) means we have a quick indiactaion of failure, but I ma getting conflicting advice / views on options 2) and 3).

Some believe you cant run only one solenoid - so option 2) wouldn't work. Also I have been told that as both solenoids will not wok quite simultaneously the option 3) would effectively put excess load on one solenoid at start-up.

Any thoughts comments welcome as I'm confused :blink:

I think you've answered your own question really...

Option 2 would be wrong for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is the current draw through the solenoid. Option 3, as well as the problems caused by differing activating times will also do some really weird things to the operation of the motors, they are series wound motors so it's not as simple as just connecting them up in parallel.

Option 1 is probably not a bad idea, you'd ideally use a 6v indicator on the armature (assuming 12v power) connection as power there means that both contacts are working. Connecting an indicator on either of the F1 or F2 terminals will give a different voltage depending on direction and will only test one of the contacts not both.

I'd take a long hard look at why the Albrights are failing. Take one apart and have a look and see what's wrong. If the solenoid coil has burnt out then you have a wiring problem, if it's full of mud/corroded inside then you haven't sealed it properly. I've only managed to kill one Albright in the last 8 years (not counting the one I snapped the contact off which was entirely my own fault) and that was caused by water/mud getting in through the mounting screws on the back of the solenoid. There is also a real difference between an Albright HD solenoid and a cheap "pretend" albright, if you have the latter then buy a real Albright next time from a reputable supplier, if it doesn't have an Albright sticker on the body there is every chance it's not a real Albright.

Which solenoid were you using?

The 'HD' DC88-276P is only rated to:

Thermal Current Rating

100% 100A

Intermittent Current Rating

30% Duty 180A

40% Duty 160A

50% Duty 150A

60% Duty 130A

70% Duty 120A

Which is almost certainly beyond the hard use you will give it on long pulls, even powering only one motor.

Personally I would run one solenoid per motor, and have an indicator light on the switched side to let you know it is working, that way you can run with just the one motor, you're half speed, but you won't kill it so quickly.

If you do use the above solenoid, there is a heavier version, the DC88-540PL, I can't see specs for it, but it should last longer than the above.

Which solenoid were you using?

The 'HD' DC88-276P is only rated to:

Thermal Current Rating

100% 100A

The DC88, regardless of contact size, is rated at 100A to infinity, however it is also rated at 200A for nearly 6 minutes continuous use and is rated for 450A (max current at 12v on an XP motor) for over a minute continuous. The DC88 ratings given by Albright are exactly the same regardless of having the L or not. The only difference between a P rated and a PL rated is that the contacts are larger on the PL (P = Protected contacts - IP66, L = large contact tips).

The PL is certainly a better option but it's not as big a deal as may be suggested in some suppliers sales speak. It gives better contact life so will increase the long term durability but I've never been able to find any data sheets that suggest it improves either the current rating or the duty cycle figures. Having said all that, for the price difference involved I'd always go for the PL :)

Option 1 sounds good if it would work accurately

I have run mine with only one albright, not by choice

Option 3, if one of your albrights packed in how would you know unless option 1 worked.

Why not try 4 albrights and halve the load. Should last forever and you can leave them to your grandkids

I only use 1 Contactor to power 2 winch motors! Always have on 12 volt with the motors in Parallel! Never let me down! Alot of people only run 1 - have a look at the next event you will be surprised!

I was codriving for a car at three peaks which had an individual contactor for each motor and when one failed it was masked by the winch still working! If there is only one fitted you know if it is working or not straight away!

Just make sure the terminals are clean and tight and it will be fine!

Dan ph34r.gif

I only use 1 Contactor to power 2 winch motors! Always have on 12 volt with the motors in Parallel! Never let me down! Alot of people only run 1 - have a look at the next event you will be surprised!

I was codriving for a car at three peaks which had an individual contactor for each motor and when one failed it was masked by the winch still working! If there is only one fitted you know if it is working or not straight away!

Just make sure the terminals are clean and tight and it will be fine!

Dan ph34r.gif

Think Dan forgot to mention they work upside down which can be a bonus :) .

The DC88, regardless of contact size, is rated at 100A to infinity, however it is also rated at 200A for nearly 6 minutes continuous use and is rated for 450A (max current at 12v on an XP motor) for over a minute continuous. The DC88 ratings given by Albright are exactly the same regardless of having the L or not. The only difference between a P rated and a PL rated is that the contacts are larger on the PL (P = Protected contacts - IP66, L = large contact tips).

The PL is certainly a better option but it's not as big a deal as may be suggested in some suppliers sales speak. It gives better contact life so will increase the long term durability but I've never been able to find any data sheets that suggest it improves either the current rating or the duty cycle figures. Having said all that, for the price difference involved I'd always go for the PL :)

And I think that the "276" of DC88-276P is some sort of customer reference number for allbright I seem to remember. So it has no affect on the spec.