Throttle body pre heater plate...

Mark V8

Hi fellas,

I've just ordered the kit from Landrover as mine is dripping coolant and what I'd like to know is whether the job is

A) A Piece of tiddle

B) Fairly Straightforward or

C) a complete b@^%&**.......

I'm not a mechanic but I like to have a go where I can. I'm happy to give it a try but I don't want to bollox it up.

Or am I better off taking it to my friendly local mechanic who reckons (with a straight face).....''an hours labour but could be two if the bolts are seized....''

Or....

Is anyone here local to me, handy with spanners and likes coffee/bacon butties/ a few beers...... :rolleyes:

I'm in North Lincs....

Welcome :)

Yes there is but I have no idea what you are talking about... from the fact this is the Discovery forum I deduce it's probably a Discovery and from your username I'm guessing maybe a V8 one but that only narrows it down to about six different engines in five models (3.5, 3.5 EFI, 3.9 EFI, 4.0EFI, 4.6EFI, 4.4...) we need some more info please :)

Can you post a picture of the problem and what you think you have bought as a solution - what is this kit you are talking about? known issue? I am on my second Discovery V8 and haven't come across any issues with that in fact I don't even know what it is though I admit I haven't looked in the book to figure it out.

From the description I would guess its a Disco II with the Thor motor.The throttle body heater is prone to leaking and LR sell a little kit with a new plate,gasket and screws.Not a difficult job at all. 1/2 hr if all the screws come undone.....

Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies....

I've since found the following link

http://landroverforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27657

which indeed shows the job to be quite straightforward......and my local mechanic to be a would-be thief !

Which gasket paste should I buy ?

Its a '99 Disco 2 V8 ES in Kinversand BTW.....

I by passed mine as well - there are fiddly little 5.5mm bolts on the plate and no room to work if you are trying to clean everything up nicely. Other option with to take the whole throttle body off and do it properly. Lot of time required for that.