Tyres

I have a much loved 1984, 90 which came to me 15 years ago with original steel wheels (5.5" wide?) fitted to these were 7.5x16 tyres. I realise that the wheels are not recommended for this tyre width, but want to avoid fitting smaller tyres. My first choice after reading many forums on the subject is BFG AT's 235x85x16, are these a better fit than the 750x16 on the original wheels?

I am happy with the original look of the wheels on the car and would like to avoid changing to another style, did the 110 come with a wider wheel and larger tyres?. I haven't been able to find the original wheels in the wider size, does anyone know of a supplier?

Cheers.

5.50x16 was standard LR rim size and mounted 750x16 , 235/85r16 is very close radial equivalent , so should be no problem need to check if your rims were for tubless tyres , i.e. small valve hole , and safety raised bump on sholder by bead area . HTSH

Im no expert - but I think you will find that if your wheels are riveted (centre to rim) mine were on my 85 90 - then you will have to fit tubes?

I have military Wolf wheels on mine now, so I can fit tubeless tyres..............but they are so thick I found I had to change ALL the wheel studs which was an unwelcome surprise! A lot of people say you dont have to - but the studs dont go all the way through the nuts.

Be careful about this and also be aware that not all Disco wheels fit an early defender because the centres are different.

Hopefully a grown up will know all the details and post?

As stated, Standard 5.5inch rim width steel wheels are the right size for 7.50 x 16 tyres.

235/85 x 16 tyres are near enough the same diameter, BUT they have a wider section width and should NOT be fitted to standard 5.5 inch rim Land Rover steels.

Tyre manufacturers minimum rim width for 235s is 6 inch, max width is 7 inch.

Many people do fit 235s to standard 5.5 inch rims (I used to). However it isn't technically correct, and in the event of a 'problem' you might have difficulty with insurance claims etc.

Most 5.5 inch rims are tube type only, only the very latest with 'safety ridges' pressed into the steel rim are suitable to be used without inner tubes.

As far as I am aware Tube type wheels can be either riveted or welded, so I wouldn't use this a s a guide as to whether they can be used without tubes or not.

Regards, Diff.

I've just put a set of 235/85R16 on my '90 and the recommendation was the rims should be 6"-7" so I took the opportunity to change them as well. My original 5.5" rims were getting a little tatty and like others have said, you need to check if they are "tubed only".

I did have 205/80R16 but they looked silly and the bigger tyres are actually much quieter on the road. Don't forget the speedo issue if you do change sizes.

Malcolm