Track rod ends help

Hi there, my 90 failed its MOT on the nearside track rod end ball joint. Ive just come to buy a new ball joint and noticed the threads are handed... How do i know which hand thread mine will be? Also, ive heard that the tracking should be checked? Is this the case, even if the centres/threads are measured and the new ball joint is fitted in the same postition? And finally, how difficult is this job, is it one of those awkward ball joints?

Many thanks in advance guys, Josh

Yes, buy a pair so you know you aren't going to get caught out.

That said, are all the TRE's the same age because if you are going to be getting the tracking set I would replace them all so at least you know they are all good? They are not exactly expensive (no more than the cost of having the tracking set) so I would do them all, certainly that is what I have done in the past.

I have always found Just Tyres good for doing my tracking, they only charge if adjustment is required (I get it checked every year) and if it needs adjustment they charge about £20. In 11-years this vehicle has only had to be adjusted twice, once after fitting new TRE's and a few years later when I fitted HD rods.

There will be a jam nut (locking nut) on it tight up against the steering bar, turn this either way till you see it backing off - this'll show you if its a right hand thread or a left hand thread.

G

There will be a jam nut (locking nut) on it tight up against the steering bar, turn this either way till you see it backing off - this'll show you if its a right hand thread or a left hand thread.

G

Not on a 90/110/Defender there isn't, the TRE screws into the track rod & it's secured by 2 clamps around the track rod end to close up the split & these clamps are secured by a bolt/nut.

see page 462 here

Series Vehicles IIRC have locknuts on their steering rods.