Todays Antics and finds.

RoaryV8

Well as the rear axle was almost stripped ready for the new parts, i decided to get the diff out ready for the pan to be welded up, And managed to source a complete Rear Hub with ABS ring etc, so hopefully picking that up in the morning and get it back working.

But as i couldn't do much else decided to start messing with the exhaust, as i quickly bodged a box on the back for MOT man to be happy.

Took the system off measured it all, moved the box into the centre and welded it up, and then Fiddled about and made a side exit...

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

And a video of the new exhaust...

http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j409/spmobilemechanic/?action=view&current=MOV01340.mp4

What else would you advise?

Exactly... Thats what they are there for to support the vehicle while working on it. Now working under it while on a jack..... :o thats a no no..

There 3 Tonne stands supporting just the rear of the RRC so say under 1 tonne its supporting.

Exactly... Thats what they are there for to support the vehicle while working on it. Now working under it while on a jack..... :o thats a no no..

There 3 Tonne stands supporting just the rear of the RRC so say under 1 tonne its supporting.

And all the guys that have been killed with them falling off thought exactly the same thing.

I suppose the handbrake was holding it in place as there does not appear to be any chocks at the rear of the front wheels.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/ohb-face/Documents/falling.pdf

The 3 tonne rating is for the pair, not each stand and you would have well over a tonne on them.

:blink:

I have worked under my 90 plenty of times on stands only, for example when replacing rear axle... Short of setting up some kind of maglev thing at the cost of 100's of thousands I'm not sure what else you can do... :ph34r:

I always settle it onto the stands, then give it a good shove from all directions to doublecheck stability, wheels chocked.

If in doubt then I stick a wheel or two under it as well so that if its does fall I will at least be crushed to he thickness of a disco rim, and not flat as a pancake.

:blink:

I have worked under my 90 plenty of times on stands only, for example when replacing rear axle... Short of setting up some kind of maglev thing at the cost of 100's of thousands I'm not sure what else you can do... :ph34r:

I always settle it onto the stands, then give it a good shove from all directions to doublecheck stability, wheels chocked.

If in doubt then I stick a wheel or two under it as well so that if its does fall I will at least be crushed to he thickness of a disco rim, and not flat as a pancake.

That is about right if you have to do it. Make sure it is chocked on both sides of the wheels and have a backup in place (like spare wheel, etc) in case it falls. The problem when pulling the rear end out you also have the issue as to where to put the stands.

I the case of this job in this thread, I would just try to plan in differently and not try to do too much at one time. For example, you can remove the diff centre and put the exhaust in with the wheels still on. Then do the hubs later where you do not have to be under the vehicle.

I the case of this job in this thread, I would just try to plan in differently and not try to do too much at one time. For example, you can remove the diff centre and put the exhaust in with the wheels still on. Then do the hubs later where you do not have to be under the vehicle.

Exactly - if I'm working underneath then all four wheels are on. Short of pulling out an axle there's very little than can't be done with the wheels on, and even those things can be planned so that most of the work is wheels-on or reaching in from the side rather than being underneath.

Just strikes me that squashed under 2 tonnes of Solihull's finest would be an unpleasant way to go, especially the couple of moments when you realise it's about to go! :o

Cheers,

AndyC.

Belt and braces, always sound advice. I prefer to have the car on ramps before I get underneath, but of course it's harder to pull halfshafts out that way. Otherwise I use a set of stands under the axle and another stand on the chassis near my head, or ramps under the ends of the axle to "catch it" if it falls.

That's one thing (of many) I like about EAS, I don't do so much jacking anymore.

Before welding the right angle for the exhaust to come out the side and before cutting the tailpipe bit to length, i pushed it into the exhaust and swivelled it up to the bottom of the wing and you then have the width of where the exhaust is going to sit. Then i just used my good old eyes to mark roughly where the centre of the exhaust is going to be up the wing.

Then mark the middle point between the width and height and that should be the centre of where the exhaust comes out..... Well worked for me anyways ;)

I wondered if there was a method that people used that I hadn't thought of, but I guess it's like you say just use your eyes etc to get it in the right place. I'm just such a perfectionist that if it sat off centre it would bug me for ages. :rolleyes: