I think I need shooting

Dannytd5

Over the last few weeks I've got it into my head That I want a l200 pick up So today I set off to have a look at a few with the idea of trading the td5 in well got to the first one looked great were at the right money asked how much n mine said a good price so off we went for a test drive well I've never driven anything as blood rubbish in my life within 200 yards I new it were not for me talk about slow noisey rear suspension welded soild

So I'm sticking with what I know the old faithful disco td5 sorry I ever doubted you landrover

The rear springs are made to carry a ton so I half expected it to be a bit stiff on the back.

The engine felt slow and unrefined what can I expect tho it's the old 2.5 mitsi shogun engine which has been going for over 20 years.

And the gear box felt like it were out of a wagon really close ratio would probably rev at 3500 doin 70.

So jumping back into the disco felt like I were climbing into a rolls Royce lol

How old was the L200? Dad has a mid 90s one and though getting a bit rough that still drives OK for its age. Like most riceburners they are totally different to a LR but have different strengths as well as weaknesses. I wouldn't be without my Ranger - it is used for something completely different to the Land Rover.

its a working truck - that happens to also be marketed as a lifestyle truck to imbeciles who want something 'chunky' to park at sainsburys - and is really aimed at tradesman who carry lots of stuff around building sites etc.

therefore the l200 is more akin to a defender 110 double cab pick up, so comparing it to your disco2 is not really a fair comparison.

After a recent thread I decided to look at the L200 forum (not that I would EVER buy one, but just out of interest.

See this thread: http://www.l200.org.uk/community/index.php?topic=20468.0

"Around 100 - 110K - not entirley sure as I had no speedo for while

Third gearbox, third back axle, second front diff, third set of front drive shafts, 4 or 5 sets of wheel bearings, umpteen sets of front pads, two radiators, a knackered EGR cooler, 3 rear props, two front props, two clutches, two pairs of rear brake cylinders (and shoes, due to contamination).

Hmmm .......... what else ........ can't remember .............. oh yea, lost count of the alternator changes."

134,000 on a 56 plate but had a new engine at 100,000
Mines on 129.000 new engine went in from milners, only done 1000 on it sill running in

If you ever thought a LR would keep you tinkering, and Jap carp was reliable - think again... :rolleyes:

tbh they are not that good. one of our customers services them, and they are almost comparable to a navara in reliability terms. cambelt failures are common (caused by the crank pulley falling apart), rear springs fail on an almost annual basis, the air operated solenoids for the diffs/4x4 system play up, gearboxes are prone to bearing wear, fuel consumption is horrendous, the turbo's suffer with boost problems leading to limp mode, head gaskets and cracked heads are also a major problem, and they are rather uncomfortable after a long drive.

there is barely any room in the back as well on the double cabs, very cramped, you'd be better off with a double cab 110.

and they are rather uncomfortable after a long drive.

there is barely any room in the back as well on the double cabs, very cramped, you'd be better off with a double cab 110.

Hmmm! I sat in the back of a 4-Runner once. Damned uncomfortable that was, no where to put my legs (I'm only 5'20"), maybe OK for small children :unsure:

But again, it was never designed to be a car.

Interesting as they have generally been fairly reliable here.

I sell Ford Rangers at work and they are unreal - nothing ever goes wrong with anything. My Mk2 Ranger crewcab has 50k on it on mostly awful roads and has needed a few sets of tyres, one rear spring and some filters - nothing else yet. Corrosion proofing is their only weakness, it will be like the old Suzuki SJ, the mechanicals will still be working like a sewing machine and you'll know because you will be able to watch them going round through the holes in the floor :lol: