300tdi rocker cover gasket why does it keep leaking ???

Hi all

Right I have a oil leak from the rocker cover gasket on my 300tdi

I have replaced the gasket 3 times in the past 6 months and everytime a few days later it's leaking again

Any ideas to where I am going wrong I have only been fitting the britpart ones

Should I try a genuine one or a smear of instant gasket as well as the standard one ??

Any help or idea will be greatfully recieved

Many thanks Chris

Never had a Britpart one leak, I would go with the distorted cover theory.

Have you checked the surfaces to ensure there isn't damage to the mating surfaces, even a slight nick would probably do it? Never had to use sealant of any kind, are you fitting them correctly?

Hi

I will check one I remove it again for damage

When I fit them I am making sure they are seated correctly and not over tightening the 3 bolt the manual says a very low torque figure which I am following

Not sure it there is anything else I can do

Many thanks Chris

have had similar problem in past, and make of gasket made no difference. I found that the trick was not to do the naturally right thing. That is some thing leaks with a new seal and to tighten it. I replaced the gasket a number of times and even got a second hand cover and still had the problem. I found the trick is NOT to tighten the cover down all that tight as when its tight down it distorts the gasket. believe me it works! good luck

Can I suggest before getting a new cover, just try it on without a gasket - you should see then if there is any distortion if it doesn't sit reasonably flat without rocking. It might also be a sign of internal pressure - a partially blocked breather perhaps, it doesn't need much to force it everywhere? Does it always leak from the same spot?

Nigel