200 TDI conversion

Smokydiesel

Hi,

About a year ago I finished my "ex-Disco lump into 1985 Defender 90"- conversion.

In general I'm very happy with the result, except for the vibrations I have to put up with especially after a cold start.

Windows and doors are shaking like crazy, it all dies down a bit once the engine is warmed up but the rattling is always there (on idle-speed).

I've tried about everything: new genuine mountingrubbers, endless fidling with the idle-speed, soft radiator/intercooler hoses etc etc.

Nothing is rubbing against the body or chassis but still.....

Every now and then I read about people having the same problem (but without a cure)

Every now and then I read about people having no problems at all.

Now I've been told that 200 TDI's tend to vibrate a bit more compared to for instance a 2,5 NA.

But so many 200 TDI-Defenders once left the factory rattle-free, why can't mine be like that ?

Thanks for any reply :)

Edwin

Mine rattles a bit sometimes when I start up but nothing like what it seems yours is doing. Mine is a Defender 200Tdi though, and the original engine for the truck. I would be interested to know if this makes a difference.

What oil do you have in the engine?

yes,

if the timing is out it will vibrate like hell with diesel knock!

also what engine mounts did you use? Very hard rubber will make a difference, i replaced my worn out engine mounts with some poly versions and it was frikkin AWFUL... so i shelled out and bought some replacement genuine rubber from a dealership (not as expensive as you think) and the idle vibrations went away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , is the crank pulley in good condition ? this has a rubber element which is part of the vibe dampening , also did you use the Tdi flywheel? and finally the IP timing is critical and too much advance will increase vibes and diesel knock. My 200 Tdi conversion on my 109 is disco derived incl the Disco engine/chassis mounts - a much better mount system imo and is smooth once warmed up

hth

Steveb