Serp flat belt to drive a Hydro Pump ? - Man enough ?

My experience is No.

Tried it to power my milemarker on a 300 tdi with a 30cc pump - 6" pulley on the pump,well over 180 degrees contact and the spring tensioner locked in place to prevent slack under load.

It worked wonderfully when tested in the yard - first time I was up to the bonnet in slop and really needed a winch,it was useless.

I was going to try a synchronous belt,but had a chat with Rakeway engineering,and they warned me against toothed belts - they are non-stretchy,and will snap with the smallest stone underneath them,so must be fully enclosed in a guard.

Poly-vees can transmit big power no problem,but not in mud and slime.

• 2 months later...

After some testing in Russia's rivers and swamps, I am pleased to say the serpentine belt didn't have any trouble driving the 8.5cc pump on a 1:1 ratio. Even when soaking wet there was still enough pull, even on the outer layer, to get us up the muddy bank without drive assist.

So very happy with it, perfect for my use, but for a bigger pump (and faster winch) other solutions would probably work better.

Filip