HOW TO CHECK CONDITION OF TIMING BELT

peter deer

thanks for your replies

belt is cheap ,but replacement is not easy ,particularly removal of bolt on crankcase if you do not have the special tool

persistance normally sees it off, If you make a hole in the casing more carp can get in, Im with the others if your in doubt and replace the belt.

Dave.

I checked mine with a cotton bud in the wading plug but there was just oil. I decided to go for it anyway and when I pulled the front cover off I was really pleased that I did see attached picture.

I got the job done, in about 3 and a half hours, if yours is a manual then the crank bolt should not be to difficult. In gear with the brakes on and after a couple of goes it went. I have done a few already though.

For peace of mind I would just do it, okay the pulley, belt and idlers are about £60 but cheaper that a set of push rods and a rocker or two and the same parts.

Good Luck

post-27234-0-29029300-1301484451_thumb.jpg

I checked mine with a cotton bud in the wading plug but there was just oil. I decided to go for it anyway and when I pulled the front cover off I was really pleased that I did see attached picture.

I got the job done, in about 3 and a half hours, if yours is a manual then the crank bolt should not be to difficult. In gear with the brakes on and after a couple of goes it went. I have done a few already though.

For peace of mind I would just do it, okay the pulley, belt and idlers are about £60 but cheaper that a set of push rods and a rocker or two and the same parts.

Good Luck

Blimey,

I've never seen one that close to letting go"

Blimey,

I worked in a dealership in the late 90's and they had either just started to go on the edge or they came in on a recovery truck. I decided that it was about time I checked everything else I have been putting off.

the crazy thing was that there really wasn't much play in the idlers at all.

Jim

Blimey,

I have :)

Quite a few like that and in a couple of cases I have seen a belt down to about half its normal width, which is about when they go bang.

We had dozens probably hundreds of them in the late 90s, the service action was closed years ago but we still see the odd one that never had the kit fitted, mostly low mileage geriatric owner vehicles.

Mine has a milled slot at the edge which is filled by a swing-away cover. Undo one 10mm bolt and peer at the front edge of the belt. It doesn't help much if the belt decides to wear at the rear edge though.

To undo the crankcase bolt, I cheat!

Place socket on bolt and then place racket (with added bar if not long enough) onto nearside chassis leg.

Then just flick starter motor, :ph34r: it undoes the most stuck bolt's! :D

Once you have got it started, do it by hand.

To undo the crankcase bolt, I cheat!

Place socket on bolt and then place racket (with added bar if not long enough) onto nearside chassis leg.

Then just flick starter motor, :ph34r: it undoes the most stuck bolt's! :D

Once you have got it started, do it by hand.

Jawellnofine as they say here... So to do up the bolt you reverse the polarity on the starter? :lol: