Very hot power steering pump pulley

jad

Finally got my car running after rebuilding it! 200tdi disco engine in a 90.

However I now have a problem with the PSP pulley becoming very hot.... Hot enough to start making the belts smell pretty nasty after a few minutes (Without the car moving). The belt doesnt appear to be slipping by eye. It does have fluid in and the actual pump doenst feel particularly hot as its not doing anything.

I have fitted a 300tdi 100amp alternator while doing the rebuild, which was pikied from my dads 300 so was working previously. The pulley on the alternator is becoming hot but no way near as hot as the PSP one.

All the belts line up (not running at an angle) and dont seem overly tight. If you rev the engine there is a squeak like something is rubbing but its not constant and doesnt happen at idle.

Im only getting to work on it at weekends at the moment so will be taking a look at it next weekend so just looking for things to check if anyone can help?

Cheers

Jad

what load :unsure:

Its a diesel and nothing else is running....

battery i believe is in good order never had any problems with it, radio, glow plugs would have been on.

and wouldnt the belt slip on the alternator pulley before the PSP one? being smaller an all? also I thought they only tended to charge about a certain rpm?

Ill get my dad to put the battery on charge and i was planning on trying it without the alternator belt on next weekend.

cheers

Jad

Remove the belt and try to turn the pulley by hand - there should be some slight resistance, and it won't spin once you let go. PAS belts have to be quite tight, so the squeak may be it slipping - even though you may think it's tight enough, or the pump is siezing. Lots of friction somewhere to get the pulley that hot.

Les.