Freelander TD4 Master Cylinder

reb78

When i got the freelander, it had a few problems. I got tired of driving back to the trader i bought it from, so have decided to do the remaining bits myself.

One problem was that the clutch pedal had a lot of movement before it did anything, when it did decide to work, the biting point was in the carpet! Now, i was told that the clutch (including the slave cylinder) was changed before i bought it as it would not go in gear at all. The slave cylinder pipes certainly looked new. SInce picking it up, the biting point has been getting lower and lower - today you had to hold it on the brake if in 1st gear waiting to move, as you couldnt get the pedal low enough to disengage the clutch completely. So, being the only thing that hadnt been changed, i've just changed the master cylinder. Clutch is much better and it will now easily go in gear. The pedal movement is positive nearly all the way now. There is about an inch of freeplay before it starts to do something. The biting point is now perhaps an inch off of the floor which still seems low, but its not in the carpet now!

Should this system need bleeding (it doesnt state to bleed it in RAVE and the setup doesnt look like it necessarily requires it) or does this all sound about right now? It is certainly a big improvement, but i was expecting the biting point to be a tiny bit higher.

There is a clip together join between the slave and the master. RAVE describes replacement of the master cylinder seperately to the other components. Each component is sealed AFAIK - the new master came ready filled with fluid, so it was a case of unclipping the old one from the slave, bulkhead and the pedal and fitting the new in reverse.

You may want to speak to Dan (V8Bertha) - I'm sure he recently replace clutchy things on his Camel F/L - I think his symptom was the vehicle creeping forward with the clutch pedal to the floor.

Freelander clutch hydraulics are a sealed unit on the L series and the 1.8 petrol and can't be bled.

The TD4 has a slightly different setup by the looks of things and having had an issue on Jens TD4 yesterday where the pedal only came up half way, I have a feeling I'll be getting intimate with that soon too :unsure: Interestingly enough, a few pumps of the pedal seems to have solved the problem on the TD4 :) although I'm sure the problem will return at a most inconvenient moment!!