Changing Tyres

stuck

done it years ago, with a hilift/lr to break the bead seat & 2 tyre levers to lift the bead over the rim, really hard work, haven't done it since, me & 2 friends were close to collapsing afterwards, take it to a tyre fitter, much easier & worth the cost.

Thanks Ralph,

Problem is I've tried the two tyre centres near me and neither will do them as they didn't supply the tyres.

I tried to explain that had they stocked Grizzly Claws I would have bought them from them! :angry:

the big nation wide tyre places aren't very helpful if you haven't bought from them, don't know why your still a customer & potential future customer, try a local independent garage or tyre supplier, you might get better service, ask first & arrange a time/day, when they aren't busy.

I used to change a lot of tyres, with tyre levers, it was quicker than going and getting them changed

[and I am tight].

But it's actually not hard to make a manual tyre changer, last one I made was cobbled together to change my landy

tyres, I can change tyres reasonably quick just with levers but faced with taking 9[two sets and a spare] tyres

off and swapping them to other wheels I cobbled together a tyre changer, what can I say I am really lazy and

would prefer to be cutting n welding metal to changing tyres.

Look up manual tyre changers and see if you can find some pics. Mine goes on my engine crane, a mate made

one and it was welded to his race car trailer.

Suprised you had any problem getting people to change tyres, all the local services to me are happy to do it.

Look for a 'real' garage.. My local people will remove old one, fit new one and attempt to balance them (not always possible) for a tenner - damn good value I'd say! Best to go when they are not busy though.

I have changed a few LR tyres manually and the main problem is normally breaking the bead on the old one, where you have several options:

1. Drive around on the old one until it pops off: This is ok if the old tyre is already toast, but it can also cause rim damage if you are not careful.

2. Put the wheel on the ground and drive over the tyre: I only tried this once and it didn't work..

3. Jack up the vehicle with the base of the jack on the tyre: I have done this and it has worked, but not always. Last time I was also not happy safety wise, especially when it lifted the Range Rover...

4. Use a 14lb sledge hammer. I never had the nerve to do this myself, but have seen it done several times with remarkable effect, but it does appear that for it to work, you need to land very heavy blows within a whisker of the rim...

5. Use a bead breaker like this which fits on the bottom of a hi-lift jack. Very effective and cheap if you make one yourself, but the bought item is (in my opinion) too expensive for what you get.

6. Use Tyre Pliers - they are expensive, but VERY effective. If I was equipping for an expedition I would probably get some but otherwise they are just too dear for me.

7. <insert several techniques I have forgotten>

Once you have the bead broken, a normal pair of tyre levers work fine with a bit of grunting...

Roger

We use a manual tyre machine as well :) Got a pneumatic bead breaker and the same ram locks down the rim on the platform when you're swinging on the bar.

37" boggers don't fit on the all singing all dancing automatic machine ! so use this instead.

Also have a hub welded onto the top of an RSJ, similar to the above video.

Gordon

p.s. you have a pm ;)

Pic from google, but this is what i have :

manualtc.jpg